Academic Skills Advisor
- HEW 7.1 +17% Super
- 1x Full-Time, Fixed Term Contract (April 2021 - August 2021)
- 1x Full-Time, Continuing
- Position in Library Services (Research) Team, based at the Bundoora and City Campus
About University Library
RMIT University Library is a creative partner in the achievement of RMIT Universitys teaching, learning and research goals. It engages with other groups within the University to design initiatives that have a positive impact on the student experience including the provision of direct support, advice and guidance for students academic skill development. It provides resources, services and facilities to support the information needs of RMIT's large and globally distributed student and staff population and supplies expertise for the management of the Universitys archives and business information.
In order to support the goals and operations of the University the Library is arranged into 5 main functional areas: Learning; Teaching and Research; Collections; Quality and Engagement; and Information Management and Archives. The Library increasingly delivers collections and services online to maximize access by the RMIT user population. In 2017 RMIT University had an enrolled population of nearly 83,000 students of which there were over 14,000 VE students, nearly 15,000 postgraduates and over 15,000 studying from offshore. The Librarys programs apply equally to this large and widely distributed range of students.
About the role
The RMIT University Library is looking for 2x Academic Skills Advisors to join their team.
The positions available are:
- 1x Full-Time, Fixed Term Contact until August 2021
- 1x Full-Time, Continuing Contract
As the Academic Skills Advisor you will be primarily responsible for working as part of a team to enhance research students academic language and learning outcomes. These positions develop, implement and evaluate a range of discipline-based projects, workshops and builds the capacity of teaching staff to develop research students academic language and learning skills through workshops and Library drop-in services.
The ideal applicants will be able to demonstrate research capability, project and academic skills experience.
- Collaborate on the design, delivery and evaluation of integrated academic and communication skills workshops within programs and courses.
- Design, deliver and evaluate a range of projects which explicitly build academic communication skills into the curriculum.
- Design and deliver face-to-face and online academic language and learning skills services for research students.
- Restructure content developed for face-to-face teaching sessions into required formats for delivery via a range of media.
- Actively contribute to and participate in service and program enhancements.
- Work collaboratively on projects and service delivery with a range of stakeholders, taking on the role of project leader as required.
- Work constructively as part of a team to contribute to the community of practice in academic language and learning across the tertiary sector.
- Build in analytics for service reporting.
Skills and experience:
- Demonstrated ability to design and deliver effective face-to-face and online academic language and learning support to research students from a diverse range of backgrounds and disciplines within a tertiary environment.
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles of curriculum design and the ability to explicitly build academic communication skills into the design, delivery and assessment of course content.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and evaluate appropriate learning resources for delivery via a range of media platforms.
- Sound organisational and project management skills, specifically the ability to prioritise and deliver agreed outcomes within deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work constructively as a member of a team and to initiate, develop and negotiate effective relationships with clients, including students,
- High-level verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to review service delivery and using data collection methodologies.
- Demonstrated ability to embed analytics for data collection and reporting.
- A postgraduate qualification in education, applied linguistics or TESOL with a research component and/or significant relevant experience in a tertiary environment.
Please Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children Check.
RMIT is a multi-sector university of technology, design and enterprise with more than 91,000 students and 11,000 staff globally. RMIT offers postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online programs to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways.
Our purpose is to offer life-changing experiences for our students, and to help shape the world with research, innovation, teaching and industry engagement. With strong industry connections forged over 130 years, collaboration with industry remains integral to RMITs leadership in education, applied and innovative research, and to the development of highly skilled, globally focused graduates.
Our Values inspire us, wherever we are in the world, and guide how we live and work together.
Imagination. Agility. Courage. Passion. Impact. Inclusion.
What unites us is our purpose and our values; they are at the heart of who we are, what we stand for, how we make decisions and connect with each other.
Our people make everything at the University possible. We encourage new approaches to work and learning, stimulating change to drive positive impact. RMIT exists to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work. You will be a part of a productive and collaborative team, who values working relationships and outcomes through open and inclusive planning, continuous information sharing and transparent work practices.
Please submit your CV and covering letter addressing your suitability/the Key Selection Criteria for this position by clicking on the 'Apply link below. To view a detailed position description please see below, or for further information please contact Gary Pearce on +61 3 9925 4562.
Applications close on 25th of April at 11:55 pm.
Receive opportunities at RMIT directly to your inbox by subscribing here.
RMIT is a Disability Confident Recruitment Team and we are happy to adjust the recruitment process for your accessibility requirements. Please contact us at TalentSupport@rmit.edu.au telling us your preferred type of communication and we will be in touch as soon as possible to discuss your requirements.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.
Please note that whilst we still accept applications from any persons interested in our roles, due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently prioritising applications from those with current working rights in Australia and who are not affected by travel restrictions. Please see the latest updates to Australias immigration and border arrangements during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/
We are a 2021 Circle Back Initiative Employer - we commit to respond to every applicant.