Assistant /Associate Professor/Professor in Physiotherapy
Assistant /Associate Professor/Professor in Physiotherapy
Organization Name Qatar University, Health Cluster
College/Department College of Health Sciences/Department of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Science
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has diverse and committed faculty that teaches and conducts research which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University - faculty, staff, and students - are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Health Science (CHS) was founded in 2016 following a 30-year success story as a department within various colleges at Qatar University. CHS is the national provider of high quality health sciences education and research in Qatar and offers undergraduate (BSc) programs in biomedical sciences, human nutrition, physical therapy/physiotherapy and public health, as well as graduate programs in biomedical science (MSc) and master of public health (MPH) and a doctoral (PhD) program. It is part of the wider QU Health Cluster that includes the Colleges of Pharmacy, Medicine and Dental Medicine - http://www.qu.edu.qa/health
The College of Health Sciences aspires to be an internationally recognized model of excellence with distinction in teaching, research, and community service.
In alignment with Qatar Vision 2030, our mission is to develop competent graduates duly prepared for careers in health science-related disciplines who will contribute to the delivery of optimal health care.
Members of the CHS have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1million/project (5million exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research-active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
The Department of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science (PTRS) was founded in 2017. It offers a 4-year Bachelor of Science degree. Its Head of Department, Dr. Emma Stokes, took up her position in August 2018 and the first intake of students registered in that year.
Teaching in the first year is not delivered directly by the Department as the students complete a common year with other students from the Health Cluster.
The program is delivered in English – the curriculum is innovative and future oriented. A move away from the more traditional models of physiotherapist professional entry-level education embracing critical pedagogy – it is thematic in nature with team-based learning.
The Department has an international faculty and a global perspective.
The Department seeks to appoint four faculty members to commence their positions for the academic year 2021-2022.
Duties & Responsibilities
The appointee will be expected to carry out the following activities
- Deliver high-quality, innovative, student-centered courses in the area of orthopaedics and musculoskeletal health as well as other professional courses in the degree program.
- Participate in the preparation of the program for accreditation and other quality initiatives.
- Contribute to developing research capacity within the Department.
- Contribute to the stakeholder engagement within the professional community in support of teaching, research and professional development.
- Contribute to various committees at the program, College, and University level
- Serve as student advisor.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department
Essential qualification and experience
- Be a qualified physiotherapist eligible for registration to practice in her/his country and a member of his/her professional organization.
- Hold a PhD in physiotherapy or an allied field.
- Demonstrates evidence of teaching excellence in the design, delivery and evaluation of physiotherapy entry to practice education program(s).
- Show evidence of a track record, consistent with experience, of research activity and outputs including grants and peer-reviewed publications.
- Demonstrates excellent written & oral communication and interpersonal skills.
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience of curriculum development at entry to practice and graduate program level.
- Arabic speaker.
- Experience in clinical/practice education development and delivery.
- Experience in supervising graduate [Master’s and PhD] students.
- Evidence of leadership in the professional community.
- International teaching experience including working in culturally diverse environments.
Required Documents – note applications must be submitted via QU approved recruitment portals or directly online at QU Jobs.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter outlining your teaching, research and contribution/service experience as described above.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephone contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where coursework was completed. However, if no course work was completed, a copy of certificate letter from the Registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
Please note, incomplete applications will deem the candidate ineligible for further consideration.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.