Associate Professor in Real Estate Development
About the position
The Department of Architecture and Planning is one of four departments affiliated with the Faculty of Architecture and Design at NTNU and consists of approximately 50 employees, including PhD candidates. The department leads in the development of knowledge in architecture, planning, real estate development and facilities management. The subject area includes the knowledge bases from engineering, social sciences and humanities. Through teaching and research, the department contributes to the development of climate-neutral buildings and cities, including living environments that seek to ensure architectural quality, aesthetic experience, reflection, well-being and security.
The department has four study programs, of which a 5-year study in architecture, which is shared with the Department of Architecture and Technology, as well as a master's degree program in physical planning, real estate development and facilities management and Urban Ecological Planning, which is an international study program. The Department of Architecture and Planning wants to develop its portfolio of continuing and further education (EVU) and currently has a well-established EVU program in real estate development and facilities management.
The position covers the subject area of real estate development. This includes planning assumptions for development projects, location theory, land use knowledge, economic and market assessments, real estate portfolios and various strategies for planning and developing properties. Emphasis is on placing real estate development in a sustainable, strategic and architectural context that aims to develop an understanding of local and environmental qualities as well as the social context in which real estate development is included.
You will report to the Head of the department.
Duties of the position
The applicant will be responsible for teaching, research and supervision related to our two master's programs in real estate and facilities management, and will be closely linked to the activities at the Center for Real Estate and Facilities Management. Close professional collaboration is expected with the others in the field of real estate and with the other master's programs for which the department is responsible.
- Responsibility for planning and implementation of teaching in real estate development within the study programs in real estate and facility management
- Be an academic resource working with the other master's programs at the faculty
- Initiate, develop and participate in research and development work within the subject area both nationally and internationally
- Supervision of master's and doctoral students
- Further develop the subject area and the teaching program, including continuing and further education
- Be active in the development of the Center for Real Estate and Facility Management
- Research and publication at a high international level in the field of real estate development
Required selection criteria
The position of Associate Professor within real estate development requires that you meet the criteria in the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts section 1-4.
- Your PhD, or academic work of the same scope and quality, must be within real estate development or a closely related subject area.
- Experience from real estate development projects and knowledge for planning, economic and social aspects is required.
You must document relevant basic competence for teaching and supervision at university/higher education-level, ref. Regulations. If this cannot be documented, you are required to complete an approved course in university teaching within two years of commencement. NTNU offers qualifying courses.
It is a prerequisite that within three years of appointment, new employees who do not speak a Scandinavian language can demonstrate skills in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language equivalent to level three in the course for Norwegian for speakers of other languages at the Department of Language and Literature at NTNU.
Preferred selection criteria
- Teaching and supervision experience from universities or colleges
- Experience from interdisciplinary research, teaching and project collaboration
- Ability to initiate and obtain external funding for research and innovation projects
- Ability to engage students
- Understanding of real estate in a facility management perspective
- Good written and oral presentation skills in a Scandinavian language and in English
The person appointed must be able to document professional qualifications and experience from teaching, research and own practice within key parts of the subject area.
- Professionally curious and oriented to continuous development
- Good collaboration skills
- Ability to work independently
- Contributes to both an open professional and social working environment
- Sense of responsibility and interest in taking leader roles
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
In a position as Associate Professor (code 1011) you will normally be remunerated from gross NOK 526 000 to NOK 694 000 per year, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment, you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite that you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
You can find more information about working at NTNU and the application process here.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation must be in English.
Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 10 works)
- A description of the academic/artistic works that you regard as most relevant and that you particularly want to be considered in the assessment
- Name and address of three referees
- Research plan
- Details of teaching qualifications based on "Documentation of applicant’s teaching qualifications in connection with appointment to an academic position at NTNU”
- Details of the projects you have managed, with information about funding, duration and size
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the assessment of the best-qualified applicant, we will emphasize education, experience and personal suitability as well as your motivation for the position. You will be expected to deliver high-quality teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and undertake supervision of Masters and Doctoral candidates. Evaluation of these skills will be based on documented experience and relevant teaching qualifications. Applicants with teaching experience at university level are preferred. Quality and breadth of the teaching qualifications will be evaluated.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA. This means that we pay special attention to the quality and professional breadth of these works. We also consider experience from research management and participation in research projects. We place great emphasis on your scientific work from the last five years.
Your application will be considered by an expert committee and the most suitable applicants will be invited to interview and to deliver a lecture.
A good working environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. NTNU wishes to increase the proportion of women in its academic positions, and women are therefore encouraged to apply.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Head of the department Lise Leanore Nordenborg Linge, telephone: + 47 464 21 672, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Olav Wist, e-mail: email@example.com or Désirée Brigg, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your application and supporting documentation via jobbnorge.no. If you are invited for interview, you must bring certified copies of certificates and diplomas. Mark the application with reference number: xxx.
Application deadline: 25.04.2021
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Architecture and Planning
Our fields of expertise are architecture, urban design, physical and urban ecological planning, Smart Cities as well as real estate development and facilities management. We also work with ambient aesthetics, land use and transport planning, urban renewal, densification and urban redevelopment, as well as urban ecological planning in lower income countries. The Department of Architecture and Planning is one of four departments in the Faculty of Architecture and Design
Deadline 25th April 2021
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Gløshaugen