Postdoctoral Fellowship in Materials for Solid-State Li Metal Batteries
About the position
A postdoctoral fellowship is available at the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology. We are seeking a postdoctoral research fellow to join our team developing materials for solid-state batteries. The position is focused on using wide range of technique to engineer material properties.
The role will encompass materials and electrochemical battery research focused towards the development of lithium metal batteries and their characterization using a range of techniques and their evaluation in half cells and full cells in a range of electrolytes including solid-state and composite solid electrolytes. The position will involve both applied research and a technology review of current battery technologies, establish datasets and compare against the specific demands identified for industrial processes.
The available position is affiliated with the Functional Materials and Materials Chemistry research group (FACET) (https://www.ntnu.edu/ima/research/facet), Department of Materials Science and Engineering, NTNU Norwegian University for Science and Technology.
Research activities in the Department cover functional materials and materials chemistry, nanomaterials, ceramics, electrochemical energy technology, corrosion, physical metallurgy, and metallurgical and electrochemical process engineering.
You will report to Associate Professor Dr. Daniel Rettenwander
Duties of the position
- Develop and expand the capabilities of the solid-state batteries Lab
- Be a leading participant in the solid-state batteries group, with focus on creating synergetic effects by collaboration within different projects
- Execute a research program in solid-state electrolyte materials
- Identify sources of funding and pursue the process of securing funds
- work with PI to contribute to proposals for developmental purpose
Required selection criteria
A postdoctoral research fellowships is a qualification position in which the main objective is qualification for work in academic positions. You must have completed a Norwegian doctoral degree in materials science, materials chemistry or solid-state physics or corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree is required.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
Required selection criteria:
- The candidate must have a PhD degree in the field of materials science, materials chemistry or Physics.
- Documented experience at PhD level in lithium-sulfur and lithium metal batteries, synthesis and characterization of solid-state electrolytes, composite solid-state electrolytes.
- Experience in electrospinning, magnetron sputtering and thermal evaporation techniques.
- Very good knowledge within material science and functional materials.
- Excellent written and oral English language skills. Ability to communicate ideas, engage in discussion and passion for research area.
- Ability to carry out a technology review.
- Evidence of project management experience and involvement.
Preferred selection criteria
- preferred selection criteria
- preferred selection criteria
- good written and oral English and Norwegian language skills (ta stilling til språkkrav)
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant.
- The successful candidate can take responsibility for progress and work independently.
- The candidate has excellent communication skills and are able to collaborate closely with other members of the research group.
- The candidate must be diligent and able to show initiative on behalf of their own work.
- The candidate is creative, proactive and with a positive attitude.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
The employment period is two years.
Postdoctoral candidates are placed in code 1352, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 545 300 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The position is subject to external funding (ta stilling til om stillinger skal være betinget av ekstern finansiering).
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Research plan or project proposal
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 10 works)
- Name, e-mail address and phone number of two potential references
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Daniel Rettenwander: email@example.com or Mari-Ann Einarsrud: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Hilde Martinsen Nordø, e-mail: email@example.com.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number NV-25/21 when applying.
Application deadline: 14.03.2021
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
We are Norway's leading educational and research environment in materials engineering, materials chemistry and materials science. In collaboration with business and industry, we are a driving force for the development of innovative materials as well as new applications and manufacturing processes. Activities in our disciplines are vital for the green shift. The Department of Materials Science and Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Natural Sciences.
Deadline 14th March 2021
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service