Lecturer in Geology
- Join a highly collaborative team in The School of Geosciences as a Lecturer in Geology with experience in one or more of the areas of sedimentology, marine sedimentology, stratigraphy, stratigraphic methods and palaeontology
- Located at our Camperdown Campus
- Full time, Fixed term 3 Years offering a base salary of $108K - $128K p.a., plus leave loading and generous employer's contribution to superannuation
About the opportunity
The School of Geosciences, University of Sydney is seeking to appoint a Lecturer in Geology. The School of Geosciences is home to a dynamic and varied group of disciplines made up of Geography, Geology & Geophysics, Marine Science and Environmental Studies. The School's research and teaching on earth and environmental systems, sustainability, climate change and similar themes means we are addressing national priorities and issues of importance to people in Sydney, throughout Australia and around the world. There are currently 26 academic staff that teach and supervise research for 275 equivalent full time study load (EFTSL) undergraduate and coursework postgraduate students, and 62 Higher Degree Research students.
The key accountabilities and responsibilities of this role will include:
- undertaking original research and building and maintaining a research profile which meets University expectations and standards
- developing research collaborations which will ultimately result in knowledge or technology transfer leading to commercialisation, improved policy or practice and/or enhancements to industry, the profession or the community
- engaging in high-quality teaching and learning experiences (at undergraduate, honours and postgraduate level) which meet the University's expectations and standards for education
- designing and delivering quality educational programs and experiences that support student needs and meet curriculum requirements
- engaging in research supervision, in accordance with the requirements and expectations of the School, Faculty and University
- contributing to administrative activities and fostering a positive workplace culture within the School, Faculty and supporting the strategic direction of the University
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Lecturer in Geology who has:
- PhD in Geology, Earth Sciences or a cognate discipline, with a focus on sedimentology, and the analysis and modelling of complex geological datasets and processes
- demonstrated success in designing, implementing and evaluating teaching and learning initiatives in one or more of areas of Geology
- adeveloping research profile evidenced by original, high-quality and independent research in the discipline or area of expertise
- deep and broad experience in teaching and learning, as evidenced by participation in team teaching within an established program, and experience in teaching in a variety of settings and using a variety of methods
- a developing network of relationships with key academic, industry and professional institutions, partners and stakeholders with an understanding of the key strategic issues in the discipline of Geology and the higher education sector
- experience in supervising or mentoring others and/or coordinating team activities
- demonstrated ability to participate in field-based teaching and preferably hold a class C driver's licence.
Please outline in your cover letter (which you attach to your online application) your experience in designing, implementing and evaluating teaching and learning initiatives in one or more of areas of Geology.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position
Closing Date: 29 March 2021
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.