Executive Assistant to the Rector
Position: Executive Assistant to the Rector (Maternity leave replacement)
Duty station: Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic
Deadline: 12 March 2021
The University of Central Asia (UCA) was founded in 2000 as a private, not for profit, secular university through an International Treaty signed by the Presidents of the Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, and Kazakhstan, and His Highness the Aga Khan; ratified by their respective parliaments, and registered with the United Nations. The Presidents are the Patrons of the University and His Highness is the Chancellor. UCA’s mission is to promote the social and economic development of Central Asia, particularly its mountain communities, by offering an internationally recognized standard of higher education, and enabling the peoples of the region to preserve their rich cultural heritage as assets for the future. UCA brings with it the broader commitment and partnership of the Aga Khan Development Network.
UCA consists of three schools including the Undergraduate School of Arts and Sciences, the Graduate School of Development (Institute of Public Policy and Administration, Mountain Societies Research Institute, Cultural Heritage and Humanities Unit), and the School of Professional and Continuing Education. UCA also includes the Central Asian Faculty Development Programme, and the Aga Khan Humanities Project. UCA’s undergraduate programmes are located at its residential campuses in Naryn, Kyrgyzstan, and Khorog, Tajikistan. The Tekeli campus in Kazakhstan is in the planning stage.
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
The Executive Assistant provides confidential, professional and knowledgeable service for the Rector to support the effective running of the Rector’s Office. The Executive Assistant understands key management strategies to provide information, advice and/or information as necessary as well as performs a variety of administrative and support tasks which may be highly confidential and sensitive.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides administrative and technical assistance on a wide range of special projects as assigned by the Rector.
- Receives and screens incoming calls and visitors, determines which are priority matters and alerts the Rector accordingly.
- Makes referrals to appropriate UCA office staff or provides requested information.
- Functions as a gatekeeper to ensure prioritization of the Rector’s time by managing the Rector’s task list and follows up on activities to assure timely completion of projects.
- Coordinates and facilitates the Rector’s calendar to arrange appointments, meetings and conferences.
- Makes domestic and foreign travel arrangements, prepares itineraries and compiles travel vouchers, and maintains relevant travel records.
- Makes high-level contacts of a sensitive nature regarding routine & non-routine issues internally and externally requiring a high degree of discretion and diplomacy and time sensitivity.
- Develops and manages a database of contacts, initiatives and assignments. Records minutes or notes of meetings as required.
- Reviews, proof reads, edits and translates documents as required.
- Establishes and maintains various filing and records management systems.
- The person will coordinate with Executive Assistant to the Rector (whom he/she will replace during maternity leave) on all important matters in this temporary position.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- An undergraduate degree from a recognized institution in a related area.
- Experience in a similar role will be an advantage.
- Excellent management skills, strong attention to detail, and ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes.
- High quality customer service orientation.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all levels of staff both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Ability to use and maintain high-level discretion and confidentiality.
- Ability to work with sensitivity in various cultural contexts.
- Advanced technical and computer skills to support administrative functions including MS Office Suite with an emphasis on PowerPoint, Excel and database skills, electronic calendar management, as well as various videoconferencing and email applications.
- Proficient/native-like knowledge of English.
- Russian is a requirement. Kyrgyz, Tajik or Kazakh is an asset.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, CV and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12th March 2021.
As your application e-mail subject, please write: “Executive Assistant to the Rector”. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Candidates from the founding countries of UCA: Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and Kazakhstan are encouraged to apply for the position.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.