Sports Fields Coordinator
DEPARTMENT OF FACILITIES MANAGEMENT
SPORTS FIELDS COORDINATOR
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 9
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
Management and maintenance of sports fields in support of the University’s goal of becoming Africa’s “Sporting Powerhouse”. Design sporting landscapes to attract budding sports men and women to the University of Pretoria where they can hone their sporting skills utilising internationally benchmarked sports fields by:
- Identifying, managing, maintaining, and assessing the driving range tee boxes, chip greens, cricket pitches, cricket practice nets, natural turf athletic fields, synthetic surface athletic fields, soccer fields, natural turfs, hockey fields, synthetic turf hockey fields, sand volley ball courts, archery ranges, tennis courts, netball courts and the bigger TuksSport Stadium to conform with and adhere to current national and international standards and criteria;
- Devising plans and programmes on landscape development with line managers for new developments based on requests for upgrades and improvements; manage the proper growth and establishment of all plant beds and informal lawn areas and; manage the capacity and deliverables of irrigation water resources;
- Overseeing operations of the compost and mulch facility to produce compost and mulch for the University and wider public; assist with the acquisition of specialized equipment and machinery for the facility and; ensure that the required quality of products is maintained according to the standards of National and International bodies’ requirements;
- Ensuring adherence to all the regulatory legislations such as Basic Conditions of Employment; Health and Safety, and Environmental policies and thereby create a safe working environment;
- Interface with clients and or events committees with the view to meet their expectations.
- National Diploma in Horticulture or a Turf Grass Management qualification from an accredited Institution;
- Health and Safety Certificate;
- A minimum six (6) years’ experience in the following:
- Proven knowledge of turf grass management for cricket, hockey, rugby, football, athletics, golf driving ranges, golf tee boxes, golf putting greens, golf chipping greens and synthetic and natural turf grass sports fields at national and international levels;
- Experience with specialized turf grass maintenance equipment and machinery;
- Processes and activities to manufacture compost and including machinery to produce same;
- Proven knowledge to manage high profile events and tournaments;
- Establishing and developing various sports fields and landscapes.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Ability to effectively interact with clients and the general UP community;
- Ability to manage staff;
- Ability to work independently and as a team;
- Physically able to work in the landscape environment
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Experience in higher education sector and environment, both nationally and internationally;
- A valid driver’s licence;
- Environmental Management.
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Names e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE 08 March 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Mr. Aubrey Matthews Tel: (012) 420 4174
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 June 2021, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference will be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.