Manager, End-user Computing and Service Management
6 days left
- Full Time
DEPARTMENT OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SERVICES
MANAGER: END-USER COMPUTING AND SERVICE MANAGEMENT
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 5
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
To lead and to support the implementation of the IT strategies of the University of Pretoria (UP), and support the IT business relationship strategy. More so, to provide high quality end-user computing and customer experience to UP employees, students and partners. Support the UP teaching, learning and research agenda through innovative and relevant end-user computing technology and support. Provide a centralised and accessible point of contact for ITS.
The successful candidate’s responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Technical support:
- Translate strategic objectives into technical and operational systems and solutions;
- Lead and manage the end-user computing support, IT Helpdesk and endpoint management teams to continually improve the end-user computing environment;
- Manage the end-user computing environment to ensure that IT end-user computing devices and other access devices, are built and maintained to high standards of performance and security;
- Ensure that patching and anti-virus updates are carried out promptly and effectively;
- Interact with the various internal stakeholders to evolve standards for hardware, software and security in the desktop environment;
- Deliver superior endpoint management ensuring the technology is maintained to high standards, and routinely checked to ensure high levels of availability;
- Service management:
- Maintain high performing service support functions including end-user computing support, IT Helpdesk and endpoint management teams, to continually improve the end-user computing environment and bespoke IT support services;
- Owner of the incident, request, problem and escalation processes, ensuring high levels of performance in these processes, accurate reporting and establishing service improvement activities when required;
- As the owner of the escalation process, the incumbent will take ownership of major incidents to ensure coordination of resolving parties, effective communication to stakeholders and post-incident review;
- Performance and quality management:
- Monitor SLA performance for IT users, point of escalation for SLA breaches, establish corrective measures to improve IT service delivery, and provide regular and accurate management reporting on IT service performance;
- Collate and present monthly end-user computing SLA performance reports to ITS management and key campus stakeholders, provide recommendations for service improvement plans, and ensure actions are promptly followed through to completion;
- Interact with internal and third party teams to ensure actions are taken and completed, to protect and improve services;
- Customer engagement and collaboration:
- Provide a single point of contact and escalation to the campus user community for all ITS services, and build and maintain strong and productive relationships with all relevant stakeholders;
- Promote and champion IT services to the campus IT user community;
- Navigate the ITS structure to seek solutions on behalf of the user, an act as liaison between ITS' technical teams and the service requester;
- Ensure timely, concise and effective communication with campus stakeholders regarding service outages, interruptions and service improvements;
- Collaborate with the Help Desk to provide a seamless IT service to the UP community, and conduct monthly service reviews with individual stakeholders to understand service issues and identify project requirements and potential collaboration opportunities;
- People management:
- Effectively manage all end-user computing staff in delivering a speedy and efficient IT service to UP stakeholders, and ensure that individual performance measures/agreements are in place;
- Coach and mentor staff to achieve agreed performance targets, develop a training and skills development plan for staff, and conduct performance reviews with staff as per the Performance Management Policy;
- Convene regular team meetings with staff, and effectively deliver/manage staff management including recruitment, mentoring, training, target setting and performance assessment;
- Asset and financial management:
- Assist to maintain an updated register of IT assets on all campuses for all teams and assets managed by them;
- Plan, compile, manage and execute the sectional budget;
- Manage the operational budget activities for service(s) within the area of responsibility;
- Provide accurate and timely service activity information to the Deputy Director: IT Strategic Support and Client Services;
- Identify potential and actual risk, ensuring appropriate documentation, reporting and communication; and develop and maintain an end-user computing devices strategy and acquisition;
- Information security management and governance:
- Co-operate in compilation, testing and execution of the Information and Cyber Security environment, as well as the Information Governance and Disaster Recovery controls;
- Documenting and configuration of a secure and reliable endpoint environment;
- Establish and maintain a compliant environment through the conformance to legislation and UP rules, the development of appropriate policies and procedures, and the application of best practice;
- Ensure compliance with health and safety policies and procedures to maintain a safe workplace.
- A NQF 8 qualification in Information Technology or Computer Science with six years’ experience;
- ITIL Foundation certified;
- CoBIT Foundation certified;
- A total of six years’ supervisory and management experience managing a desktop, helpdesk and IT client services environment (Two years’ experience should be in management).
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Experience of successfully managing complex stakeholder relations;
- Good understanding of the major components supporting a complex shared ICT service, infrastructure (including virtualisation), data warehouse, data integration, development support and user facing services;
- Understanding of commercial contracts, service level agreements and KPIs;
- Extensive knowledge of IT security protocols, processes, policies and standards, and information security;
- Understanding of business processes, management, project planning and budgeting, including the deployment of resources to achieve objectives;
- Experience in managing, inspiring, engaging and motivating a team and colleagues, to achieve excellent results in a user-focused environment;
- Experience in the procurement of outsourced services and managed services working;
- Technical Competencies:
- Experience in successfully managing and delivery of complex ICT projects;
- Good understanding of the major components supporting a complex shared ICT service; infrastructure (including virtualisation), data warehouse, data integration, development support and user facing services;
- Experience in translating broad business needs, and understanding the key drivers of enterprise applications;
- Knowledge of core functions and expectations of an IT helpdesk;
- Understanding of end-user technology and innovations;
- Able to make decisions about escalation of problems;
- Behavioural Competencies:
- Leadership and people management skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Willingness to support and mentor;
- Excellent customer facing/customer service skills;
- Able to work under pressure;
- Excellent organisational skills;
- Able to manage sensitive and confidential information;
- Results driven;
- Able to demonstrate initiative and a proactive approach;
- Able to continuously improve quality.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- A NQF 9 qualification in Information Technology or Computer Science;
- ITIL Expert certified;
- CoBIT Implementation certified;
- Business Relationship Management Professional certified;
- Five years’ supervisory and management experience managing a desktop, helpdesk and IT client services environment in Higher Education;
- Exposure to Project Management.
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 05 March 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms V Makhubele, Email: email@example.com, Tel: (012) 420 6920 for application-related enquiries and Dr Y Roets, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: (012) 420 4071 for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 May 2021, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.