Pro Bono Supervising Solicitor
Job Profile Teaching - Project Supervisor
Contract Type Permanent
BPP Pro Bono Centre runs a number of projects engaging law students in the delivery of free legal education and advice services. One project is BPP’s Legal Advice Clinic currently providing clinics in enterprise, housing and family law matters as well as a general law clinic. BPP Pro Bono Centre seeks to expand the general law clinic and to include specialisation in welfare benefits.
We seek a dynamic solicitor or barrister with considerable and varied expertise to supervise student advisers and manage to provide advice to clients on a range of welfare benefit and consumer and contract issues, including pursuing claims in the Social Security Tribunal and County Court.
The Supervising solicitor will engage volunteer lawyers from across BPP’s law firm clients, supervise a Trainee Solicitor from time to time. The successful candidate will work closely with the Head of Clinics, other Pro Bono Supervising Solicitors, the Trainee Solicitors and the Pro Bono Administrator.
Duties will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- To supervise cases in the Social Security BPP Legal Advice Clinics and attend the clinic sessions (including some evening advice sessions);
- To oversee and where appropriate supervise cases in the General BPP Legal Advice Clinic and attend the clinic sessions (including some evening advice sessions);
- To ensure that clients receive high quality legal advice;
- To adhere to SRA regulations and the requirements of the Advice Quality Standard;
- To work closely with the Head of Clinics to ensure that the clinics run effectively;
- To help design, co-ordinate, implement and manage projects related to the Clinic ;
- To work with Student Directors appointed to assist in the running the projects;
- To liaise with and recruit volunteer lawyers to supervise our projects;
- To supervise trainee solicitors;
- To advise students how they can become involved in pro bono work, including delivering talks on pro bono;
- To recruit and train student volunteers from among BPP law students;
- To maximise the clinical legal education and employability value of the students' work;
- To promote the culture and ethic of pro bono among the students;
- To liaise with and recruit the volunteer supervisors from among BPP lecturers and outside solicitors;
- To help develop BPP's pro bono provision;
- To attend conferences and committee meetings in order to exchange ideas within the pro bono community;
- To undertake any other duties related to the post.
Department University Education Services - Careers & Pro Bono
Vacancy location UK, London, London Holborn
- Qualification as a solicitor/barrister in England & Wales.
- At least two years PQE.
- Proficiency and experience in social security law and/or general litigation.
- A willingness to develop legal knowledge to supervise additional area of law.
- An understanding of and commitment to the roles of both clinics and pro bono in the provision of legal services.
- Excellent organisational and management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written skills and ability to convey complex information in an accessible way.
- An ability to explain the law clearly and simply both orally and in writing.
- Dedicated to providing a stimulating learning environment for students.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to prioritise tasks.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to use a computer and information technology.
- Confident public speaker or a passion to develop.
- Good networking skills.
Please note that the role will require some occasion travel to other BPP centres and some evening work when required
- Experience working in higher education.
- Knowledge of the free legal and law-related services available to the public.
- Project or team management experience.
Contract Hours 37.50
Salary Up to 45,000