Postdoc, Scramble Selectivity
The Director of Central European Institute of Technology (CEITEC MU) opens a position POSTDOC - Scramble Selectivity
Description of project
Cell membranes are phospholipid bilayers with large amount of embedded transmembrane proteins. Some of these proteins, such as scramblases, have properties which facilitate lipid flip-flop from one membrane leaflet to another. We have shown that scramblases can facilitate not only spontaneous flip-flop of lipids but also a translocation of other amphiphilic molecules across cellular membranes. However, we miss information about the selectivity of this transport. The goal of this project is to determine selectivity and specificity of scramblase activity and obtain a molecular understanding of the selectivity. The main tool will be Molecular dynamics simulations with free energy calculations using Gromacs program package.
CEITEC is a scientific centre in the fields of life sciences, advanced materials and technologies whose aim is to establish itself as a recognized centre for basic as well as applied research. CEITEC offers a state-of-the-art infrastructure and great conditions to employ excellent researchers. Our institute values diversity and promotes an inclusive working environment with the aim to support the best scientists. CEITEC MU is a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission. (http://muni.ceitec.cz/en/hr-strategy-hrs4r/)
A postdoc position is available in the Robert Vácha lab (vacha.ceitec.cz; CEITEC, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic). We are seeking a person with expertise in computer simulations of proteins or membranes and experience with all-atom or Martini models. Research will be conducted at CEITEC located in the life science campus of Masaryk University (Brno, Bohunice, https://www.ceitec.eu/).
- PhD in computational biophysics/chemistry/physics and related fields
- Theoretical knowledge of Molecular Dynamics
- Some years of work experience in simulations with proteins/membranes and their analysis
- Published in impactful journals in the field, corresponding to given stage of career demonstrating creativity and scientific quality
- Good English language – spoken and written
- Motivated person with collaborative mind set
- Interesting position in a dynamically expanding research institute
- An attractive salary and benefits package
- Background of a recognized and successful institution with supportive and international working environment
- Environment promoting interdisciplinarity and intersectorality of research
- In house core facilities
- Support of administrative departments (including grant office service)
- Support with the relocation process (welcome office service)
- 6 weeks of paid holiday
- Competitive salary
Anticipated start date: Negotiable
Application including CV, a brief motivation letter and contacts for referees should be sent by e-application available on https://www.muni.cz/en/about-us/careers/vacancies/60934.
In case of any questions about job offer, please contact: Robert Vácha (firstname.lastname@example.org).
In case of any troubles with filling the e-application, please contact: Veronika Slezáková (email@example.com).
Electronic application deadline is 31 March 2021.
Information about Brno, Czech Republic
- The capital of South Moravian Region and the second largest city in the Czech Republic with a population of almost 400,000 people
- Modern, dynamic and fast growing centre of industry, trade, science, research and innovation with business incubators and centres of excellence in science
- A city of universities with more than 86,000 students
- More than 10,000 researchers; 2,200 IF publications/year; 600+ PhD graduates/year,
- 500 mil. EUR of R&D investment per year, more than 350 companies with in-house R&D,
- City of Gregor Mendel, the founder of genetics; the prestigious Mendel Lectures series takes place in Brno since 2003 (lectures of the world´s top scientists, including Nobel Prize winners),
- Top score in Quality of life index in 2020
For further information about:
- CEITEC, please visit www.ceitec.eu
- CEITEC Welcome Office, please visit https://www.ceitec.eu/welcome-office/t9794
- Masaryk University, please visit www.muni.cz
- Brno, please visit http://www2.brno.cz/index.php?lan=en&nav01=20608&nav02=20617