After Hours Veterinarian
FACULTY OF VETERINARY SCIENCE
ONDERSTEPOORT VETERINARY ACADEMIC HOSPITAL
VETERINARIAN (AFTER HOURS) (ONE YEAR CONTRACT)
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 7
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the above vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Rendering veterinary service at the Onderstepoort Veterinary Academic Hospital (OVAH). Services will be rendered at the OVAH Outpatient Clinic on a shift basis as part of a team and in accordance to a duty roster, including night shifts (20:00 – 08:00), day shifts on weekends (08:00 – 20:00) and evening shifts (16:00 – 20:00). From time to time it will be expected of the incumbent to work weekday shifts at either the outpatient clinic or other small animal clinics (small animal medicine, surgery and reproduction clinics).
- Diagnostic work-up of and developing therapeutic plans for all new cases presented;
- Directing students and nursing staff in diagnostic and therapeutic management of cases;
- Performing basic procedures as required;
- Discussing relevant aspects of diagnostic work-up and treatment plan with students, using cases as teaching opportunities;
- When required, contact veterinary specialists on duty to discuss cases/request immediate assistance;
- Perform after-hours duties in accordance with duty rosters;
- Case record keeping;
- Stock control;
- Control over specified schedule 5 and 6 drugs;
- Communicating with clients.
- BVSc or equivalent;
- Registration with the South African Veterinary Council;
- Two years’ experience in general veterinary practice (with emphasis on small animals).
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Basic knowledge of business and management principles;
- Organisational skills and a strong service orientation;
- Basic learning facilitation and/or instruction skills;
- Meticulous about details, professional and a responsible person;
- Appropriate language and communication skills;
- Physical mobility;
- Ability to work under pressure and without supervision;
- Computer literacy.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Previous teaching experience.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 26 February 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms Granny Maseko, email@example.com for application-related enquiries and contact Dr P van Dam, (012) 529 8203 for enquiries relating to post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 April 2021, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right not to make an appointment to the posts as advertised.