We are looking to appoint a Research Assistant/Associate in a full-time position at the Centre for Biomedical Ethics (CBmE), Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore (NUS). The CBmE was established in September 2006 in the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine through a generous gift by the Chen Su Lan Trust. We work to develop understanding, capacity for good judgement, and sound ethical practice in the context of healthcare provision, biomedical science and health-related policy development. CBmE is a thriving centre for learning, teaching and research relating to ethical and legal aspects of healthcare and biomedical sciences. We study issues of broad international significance with a particular interest in learning for and from Singapore and Asia and work collaboratively with academic colleagues across and beyond NUS, and with key stakeholders in the healthcare sector and biomedical science and policy communities. You can find out more about CBmE here: http://cbme.nus.edu.sg/
You will be doing research on Health Data Governance and Ethics for the Singapore-ETH Centre (SEC) "Future Health Technologies (FHT)" programme (https://sec.ethz.ch/research/fht.html). The SEC is a collaboration between ETH Zurich, the National Research Foundation, and research institutions in Singapore, including NUS. The FHT programme is developing evidence-based mobile digital health technology concepts to transform the healthcare system towards health by prevention and community-based and patient-centric models. The Health Data Governance and Ethics is led by module co-Heads Professor Effy Veyana (ETH Zurich) and Asst Professor Tamra Lysaght (CBmE). You will work with them and a team of researchers at the SEC in developing a new data governance framework (based on the “Systemic Oversight Model”) that will provide ethical guidance on collecting, curating, analysing and sharing data in a transparent, trustworthy and meaningful manner, both in Singapore and internationally.
Roles & Responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of the successful candidate will be to:
- Work collaboratively with the PI (Tamra Lysaght) and researchers at the SEC to design, conduct, report on empirical research and stakeholder engagement activities for Health Data Governance and Ethics.
- Assist with the analysis and integration of data generated in the empirical research with the normative evaluation of the Systemic Oversight governance model.
- Assist with organizing academic conferences and training workshops
- Assist with applying for ethics approval and competitive research funding applications
- Assist with preparing and submitting regular reports to institutional oversight bodies and funding agencies as required
- Lead and contribute to manuscripts for publication as appropriate
- Teach in the Health Ethics, Law and Professionalism and/or Graduate programme at the CBmE where appropriate
1. Essential criteria
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a discipline relevant to bioethics (e.g. bioethics, philosophy, public health, sociology, social science, political science, health law)
- Prior research experience in an academic institution
- Demonstrated excellent written English and oral communication skills
- Aptitude for working collaboratively as well as independently
2. Desirable criteria
- Prior research experience in ethical issues relating to big data and health data governance
- Publications in the field of bioethics
- Prior teaching experience in an academic institution
- Experience with qualitative research methods
- Experience in organising workshops and stakeholder engagement activities
The position is for two years full time with the possibility of extending for another two years pending satisfactory performance and funding continuation. The successful applicant will be offered an annual salary according to qualifications at the rank of Research Assistant or Associate (up to $4,500 monthly) plus benefits commensurate with his or her experience and expertise. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis beginning February 03, 2021, until a suitable candidate is found. Please submit your application containing the following:
- A cover letter with statements that explicitly address each of the selection criteria above
- Curriculum vitae with contact details of three referees
- A sample of your writing, preferably as first or sole author.
Given the current restrictions on travel and entry into Singapore, we regret that the position is only open to Singaporean Citizens’ and Permanent Residents or foreigners who are eligible for an Employment Pass and are currently residing in Singapore. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified