Stanford Graduate School of Business
Residing in Silicon Valley, the heart of innovation, Stanford GSB has built a global reputation based on its immersive and innovative management programs. We provide students a transformative leadership experience, push the boundaries of knowledge with faculty research, and offer a portfolio of entrepreneurial and non-degree programs that deliver global impact like no other. We strive to change lives, change organizations, and change the world.
We're looking for a Senior Editor to join our Communications and Marketing team. In this role, you will help identify and create stories that explain our faculty research and illuminate the GSB experience and impact to a large global audience. The editor oversees the editorial calendar and production of Voices of Stanford GSB. Also, importantly, the Senior Editor is responsible for the strategy and production of Stanford Business Magazine, which is designed by an outside agency and distributed two to four times each year to the school’s 30,000 alumni. In addition to assigning and managing a pool of freelance writers, you will collaborate closely with other team members within the department. This role reports to the Director of Content.
The ideal candidate has extensive journalism experience, keen and creative storytelling skills, and a willingness to explore and try new ideas. You’ll need to understand varied audiences and bear in mind the broad communication goals of the school. You will have experience working with faculty or senior level professionals and be able to work in a dynamic collaborative place.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Cultivate new methods to promote and disseminate information.
- Make decisions on proposed changes and amendments to communications or publications. Supervise the distribution of publications.
- Ensure that information included in publications follows policies and procedures.
- May develop and implement long- and short-term strategic plans for a unit and across organizational lines.
- Maintain high-level interactions with specialized constituents to promote departmental goals, visions, and strategies.
- Apply advanced knowledge to determine the approach necessary to achieve department objectives.
- Manage editorial and production processes that are complex in nature and reach across organizational levels.
- Identify stories and themes, and monitor editorial/publication progress.
- May manage budget and negotiate contracts with vendors.
- Assist the department head in evaluating workflow, resources, and make recommendations. May supervise professional or support personnel and may conduct performance evaluations, hiring, and staff management.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and eight years of relevant work experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to oversee all aspects of the editorial and publication process.
- Demonstrated advanced editorial and public relations skills and the ability to synthesize material from multiple sources.
- Demonstrated ability to determine publication and editorial approaches.
- Extensive experience managing and coordinating complex editorial and publication projects.
- Expert level knowledge of job-required tools and applications.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and allocate department resources.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and apply ingenuity and creativity in solving complex problems.
- Demonstrated ability to apply discretion and judgment in evaluating implications of information release to internal and external audiences.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently stand/walk, sit, use a telephone, and grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Occasionally grasp forcefully, writing by hand.
- Rarely sort/file paperwork; lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Occasional work on evenings and weekends.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Stanford’s dedicated 16,000 staff come from diverse educational and career backgrounds. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere. We provide competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy, including additional time off during our winter closure. Our generous perks align with what matters to you:
- Freedom to grow. Take advantage of career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a Ted Talk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and caregiving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Visit campus gardens, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ridesharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computers, cell phones, recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
We pride ourselves in being a culture that encourages and empowers you.
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4253
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: J
- Requisition ID: 88306