1 day left
- Full Time
NMITE is an innovative new entrant in UK Higher Education with its eyes firmly on regional impact and a global reputation. We have ambitious aims to support lifelong learning in technology and engineering, to support industry and transform careers. We will be welcoming a cohort of pioneers to our flagship programme – the MEng Integrated Engineering - in September 2021. We are now seeking an Academic Director who will support the Chief Academic Officer in delivering and continuing to develop outstanding learner experience and real-world impact. You will be helping shape something genuinely new.
This is an exciting opportunity for a passionate and experienced interdisciplinary engineering educator with leadership experience in UK higher education. You will lead delivery in our educational portfolio, both strategically and on a day-to-day basis. You will work with the academic team and wider NMITE stakeholders to continually develop and refine the NMITE pedagogy so it offers transformational value to a widening range and increasing scale of learners and partners, and you will help develop and shape the academic team in a fast-growing environment. Finally, leading by example, you will maintain an active teaching and tutoring portfolio and have external impact, according to your strengths.
- Lead the effective and efficient delivery of a complex interdisciplinary pedagogy in the context of a growing portfolio of undergraduate, postgraduate, apprenticeship, executive and CPD modes of learning.
- Manage and develop team(s) of academic staff and more generally act as a role model in enhancing attainment and experience of learners.
- Being an ambassador for NMITE with external stakeholders
- Make significant contributions to knowledge and practice in a subject area relevant to NMITE.
- Positively impact national and/or global education communities.
- Develop and nurture a positive culture of performance, collaboration, innovation, creativity, and support.
- Design and deliver high-quality teaching, mentoring, and assessment.
- Deputise for the Chief Academic Officer when appropriate.
- Work to realise the vision, ethos, and policies of NMITE, beyond the academic team.
- Be flexible, adaptable, and willing to take on other tasks as necessary to support the entire development and delivery of NMITE.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate their:
- Effective teaching and leadership in an engineering education environment and experience in developing academic staff.
- Genuine passion for NMITE’s educational and skills remit.
- Outstanding operational management and communication skills.
- Ability to facilitate collaborative solutions within and across team boundaries in contexts of multiple uncertainties.
- Pedagogic literacy and fluency in challenge-based learning and blended learning environments, and an understanding of how different disciplines (including your own) contribute to the development of work-ready engineers.
- Sound understanding of the engineering profession, the career paths of early career engineering graduates, and awareness of the potential impacts of ‘megatrends’ as they relate to technology and engineering.
- Authentic and persuasive leadership style that can sustain high performance, flexibility, and empathy.
- Understanding of the quality and regulatory environment of UK higher education and how that effects operational decisions
- Entrepreneurial outlook
- Suitable qualifications – a PhD in a discipline relevant to the education of engineers, or a Master’s degree and appropriate professional experience and registration.
- Equality focused
We offer competitive salaries and a competitive benefits package, including pension scheme, life assurance, 30 days holidays (plus Bank Holidays & closure days), ongoing training & development. We also have a clear progression framework in place. Most importantly, NMITE offers a once in a lifetime opportunity to be part of something new. Working in the historic city of Hereford, you will be instrumental in developing a new way of educating engineers for the 21st Century. We offer you the opportunity to be the change that you want to see.
Please email a full academic CV, covering letter and a two-minute video to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your video, explain why you want the role, what areas of teaching expertise you offer, and why this expertise is important for future engineers, society, and industry. Your covering letter should outline how you meet the person specification.
Informal questions about the roles can be addressed to the Chief Academic Officer, Professor Beverley Gibbs (Beverley.email@example.com)
NMITE is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community – a place where we can be ourselves and succeed on merit. Whilst all applicants will be judged on merit alone, we particularly welcome applications from groups currently underrepresented in engineering education. Part time proposals and secondment arrangements may also be considered.
The opening date for applications is Friday 5th February 2021. The closing date for completed applications is Monday 8th March 2021. Interviews will be held w/c 22nd March 2021.
Apply for Academic Director
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly