Student Services Specialist
Job Code: 7500
Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description
If you are ready to work for an organization that nurtures diversity, respect, professional development and a comfortable work-life fit, we invite you to explore this opportunity and apply online for the position of Student Services Specialist for Vaden Health Center, a unit of the Division of Student Affairs.
Vaden Health Center is proud to be part of Student Affairs, which advances student development and learning; fosters community engagement; promotes diversity, inclusion and respect; and empowers students to thrive.
Provide administrative and operational support to faculty, staff, and students on issues regarding admission, financial aid, housing, registrar services, visa services, student life, advising, career counseling and academic services. Resolve routine issues of limited scope within own work area using general guidelines and standards or precedents as reference.
- Review documents and forms for completeness, track files for follow up and distribute for review.
- Process day to day transactions.
- Collect, gather and validate data, prepare basic reports.
- Input data, update electronic databases, web sites, literature, and associated materials.
- Coordinate logistics for outreach activities, meetings, and events.
- Research and resolve routine issues, refer complex issues to other staff.
- Coordinate and perform administrative operations.
- Respond to inquiries from students, faculty, external constituents, and staff.
- Serve as a subject matter resource to students and other departments.
- Contribute to general office administration and process improvements.
- May train and direct day to day activities of student and temporary workers.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
Two year college degree and one year of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent front-facing customer service skills.
- Office administration skills.
- Ability to learn compliance with legal, financial, and university policies and external regulations.
- Demonstrable practical experience in a health insurance office operation including but not limited to; explaining insurance benefits and how to access here on campus as well as across the country; processing health insurance waivers and petitions; health insurance billing; processing medical referrals.
- Collaborative problem solving skills for research of complex student health insurance issues involving both internal (Vaden Health Center) and external (campus) constituents.
- Working knowledge of health insurance concepts
- Strong analytical and written communication skills, including ability to condense large volumes of information into salient points.
- Strong desire to work on an inter-dependent, fully cross-trained team to deliver excellent customer service to students, colleagues, and fellow team members.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Frequently sit, perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Occasionally stand, walk, twist, use fine manipulation, grasp, use a telephone, write by hand, sort and file paperwork, lift, carry, push, and pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Experience a culture of excellence.
Stanford University, located in the heart of California's Silicon Valley, is one of the world's leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world.
Supporting that mission is a staff of more than 10,000, which is rooted in a culture of excellence and values innovation, collaboration, and life-long learning. To foster the talents and aspirations of our staff, Stanford offers career development programs, competitive pay that reflects market trends and benefits that increase financial stability and promote healthy, fulfilling lives. An award-winning employer, Stanford offers an exceptional setting for professionals looking to advance their careers.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Finalist candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check.
Job: Student Services
Location: Vice Provost for Student Affairs
Job Code: 7500
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 7500
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: E
- Requisition ID: 87770