Professor/Associate Professor in Digital and Construction Processes
About the position
The position is part of the research group Civil engineering and Geomatics, where teaching and research within digital modelling and analysis are crucial to the sustainable built environment. NTNU has significant investments in digitization and sustainable solutions, both as separate fields and as an integrated part of established and new professional disciplines.
You will work as a part of strategy research group digital twin for sustainable built environment. Currently the research group is running several largescale projects at EU and national level.
The group emphasizes the application of knowledge and technology in ICT domain to the built environment with targeting UN SDGs, especially on zero carbon and waste solutions.
The strategy of the department has a foundational focus on online solutions and digital technology.
You will report to the Head of Department.
Duties of the position
- teaching and supervision at Ph.D., Master and Bachelor level
- initiate and implement research both within the field of research group and in interdisciplinary communities, both internally and externally
- participate in the development of the department's professional competence and professional activities, including the field of further education
- extensive use of online solutions and digital technology as important elements both in research projects and in the dissemination of knowledge
Required selection criteria
The position of Professor within (subject area) requires that you meet the criteria in the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts section 1-2.
- your academic work must be essentially within architecture, civil engineering, construction, geomatics or computer science
- your recent scientific works must mainly be in the field of BIM, digital process and engineering with life-cycle perspective
- you have demonstrated the ability to win and manage large scale multidiscipline research projects, with emphasis on EU level cooperation
- you have experienced and a have a good reputation as a supervisor of students, PhDs and post doc
- you must have experience and ability in creating and leading a new research group
- you must document the ability to initiate and conduct scientific work, the greatest emphasis is placed on works in the last five years excluding statutory leave
- you must have good knowledge of relevant regulations for the construction industry nationally and/or the harmonised European regulations for the construction activities
- you must have good written and oral English language skills
In addition to formal qualifications in teaching at university level, you must document
- development in teaching and counselling of students over time
- extensive experience with supervision preferably at the master / PhD level
- participation in the development of educational quality in a work environment
The position of Associate Professor within (subject area) requires that you meet the criteria in the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts section 1-4.
- your PhD, or academic work of the same scope and quality must be within built environment architecture, engineering, construction, geomatics or computer science
- you must have recent scientific and/or artistic works mainly in the field of BIM, digital process and engineering in connection to any part of the lifecycle
- you must document the ability to conduct scientific work, the greatest emphasis is placed on works in the last five years excluding statutory leave
- you must have knowledge of relevant regulations for the construction industry nationally and/or the harmonised European regulations for the construction activities
- you must have good written and oral English language skills
You must document relevant basic competence for teaching and supervision at university/higher education-level, ref. Regulations. If this cannot be documented, you are required to complete an approved course in university teaching within two years of commencement. NTNU offers qualifying courses.
It is a prerequisite that within three years of appointment, new employees who do not speak a Scandinavian language can demonstrate skills in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language equivalent to level three in the course for Norwegian for speakers of other languages at the Department of Language and Literature at NTNU.
Preferred selection criteria
- expertise and/or experience in construction and construction processes
- expertise and/or experience with digital processes and tools within the construction industry
- good international network in academia and/or in the construction industry
- good written and oral knowledge in at least one Scandinavian language
- good communication and dissemination capabilities
- innovative, development-oriented and initiative-oriented
- ability to work organizationally and purposefully
- independent, but team-oriented and good at interaction
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
In a position as Professor (code 1013) you will normally be remunerated from gross NOK 700 000 to 1 000 000 per year, depending on qualifications and seniority. In a position as Associate Professor (code 1011) you will normally be remunerated from gross NOK 600 000 to NOK 900 000 per year, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment, you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite that you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
You can find more information about working at NTNU and the application process here.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation must be in English. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Academic and/or artistic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 10 works)
- A description of the academic/artistic works that you regard as most relevant and that you particularly want to be considered in the assessment
- A list of your works with information about where they are made public
- Name and address of three referees
- Research plan
- Details of teaching qualifications based on "Documentation of applicant’s teaching qualifications in connection with appointment to an academic position at NTNU”
- Details of the projects you have managed, with information about funding, duration and size
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the assessment of the best-qualified applicant, we will emphasize education, experience and personal suitability as well as your motivation for the position. You will be expected to deliver high-quality teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and undertake supervision of Masters and Doctoral candidates. Evaluation of these skills will be based on documented experience and relevant teaching qualifications. Applicants with teaching experience at university level are preferred. Quality and breadth of the teaching qualifications will be evaluated.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA. This means that we pay special attention to the quality and professional breadth of these works. We also consider experience from research management and participation in research projects. We place great emphasis on your scientific work from the last five years.
Your application will be considered by an expert committee and the most suitable applicants will be invited to interview and to deliver a lecture.
A good working environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. NTNU wishes to increase the proportion of women in its academic positions, and women are therefore encouraged to apply.
The city of Gjøvik has a population of 30 000 and is a town known for its rich music and cultural life. The beautiful nature surrounding the city is ideal for an active outdoor life! It's possible to get an affordable place to live close to campus.
The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Associate Professor Erling Onstein, telephone +47 92230497, email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Senior Adviser Per David Nielsen, email: email@example.com.
Please submit your application and supporting documentation via jobbnorge.no. If you are invited for interview, you must bring certified copies of certificates and diplomas. Mark the application with reference number: IV-713/20
Application deadline: 28.02.2021
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Manufacturing and Civil Engineering
Our profile of expertise can help to solve the world’s most important societal challenge: the development of sustainable solutions in industry and society. This profile includes research on modern industrial processes, use of new and recycled materials, new technological solutions and the application of new forms of organization and business models. The Department of Manufacturing and Civil Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Deadline 28th February 2021
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Gjøvik