Research Fellow - Business School
Research Fellow - Fixed term 18 months, Perm
Job reference 0000010348
Date posted 06/01/2021
Application closing date 24/01/2021
Salary £32,816.00 to £39,152.00
Package plus excellent benefits
We're seeking a Research Fellow who will support the research team over an 18 month period. This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious researcher to join a recently developed team. Forces in Mind Trust (FiMT) are supporting a study conducted by Edinburgh Napier University in partnership with the University of Edinburgh into the experiences of ex-Service personnel living in Scotland.
Edinburgh Napier University is proud to be ranked the number one Modern University in Scotland (GUG 2021) and number one in Edinburgh for Student Satisfaction (NSS 2020). Our Business School, one of the largest in the UK, delivers high quality education that connects knowledge and skills with industry related, impactful research and innovation. We develop graduates that are highly valued by employers and add value to the communities in which we serve.
To learn more about our Business School, watch this short video.
The primary purpose of the role is to assist in fieldwork, as well as manage and process the data collected from a study entitled you’re in Your Own Time now, which will address the current lack of up-to-date and in-depth data on ex-Service personnel in Scotland. It will map the distribution of Service leavers across Scotland and seek to understand their aspirations, concerns and support needs when leaving the Armed Forces. It will examine a range of outcomes for Service leavers including education, housing, employment, health, and finances. The project team will also undertake qualitative research with organisations that provide support to Service leavers in Scotland, as well as research with Service leavers themselves.
The study will be conducted with a variety of military stakeholders including support services, local councils NHS Scotland. This will entail recruiting participants, as well as organising and conducting interviews and focus groups. The Research Fellow will also take a leading role in collecting and organising these data. They will assist with reporting outcomes of the studies to the research steering group at project meetings and at conferences. They will also play a key role in the development of publications from the study.
Who we are looking for
Applicants must demonstrate:
- PhD or Masters’ degree in a social science or a related social science discipline
- Experience of recruiting participants to research studies
- Experience of data collection and analysis skills, in particular, conducting interviews
- Able to process and manage data collected during the course of a study, i.e. examples of studies where the applicant has done this.
- Able to organise and manage own work
To know more about this exciting opportunity please click here to view the role profile.
Benefits we offer
Salary: £32,816.00 to 39,152.00 per annum (Grade 5)
Further Information about our benefits can be found here
- Closing Date: Sunday 24th January 2021 at 11.59pm
- Interviews: Monday 8th February 2021
- All interviews will be conducted virtually, with a preferred start date of around 1st March 2021
- For informal discussions about this position, please contact our Associate Professor Learning Teaching and Research G.Matthews-Smith@napier.ac.uk but for all general and application queries please contact email@example.com
- Please note that the successful candidate must have permission to work in the UK by the start of their employment. We are unable to sponsor any candidate for this role
Edinburgh Napier University is committed to the creation of an inclusive culture. We encourage diversity and offer flexible working.