Life Science Research Professional 1
The Biochemistry Department at Stanford University School of Medicine seeks to hire a Life Science Research Professional 1 to assist with producing, characterizing, and testing novel vaccine candidates against a range of viral pathogens, including COVID-19 targets. Specifically, this person will be responsible for performing molecular biology and protein biochemistry to express, purify, and perform in vitro quality control characterization of protein antigens. Additionally, this role will include tasks that can be performed remotely, including coordinating, researching, and pursuing contract research organizations (CRO) to outsource relevant laboratory tasks. Extensive research experience in protein biochemistry and molecular biology techniques is desirable, however, there will be ample opportunities for training in new techniques. BSL2 environment experience is a plus. The successful applicant will become a member of a research team and interact productively with other laboratory members. The employee will facilitate the laboratory's daily operation and help ensure lab compliance with government and University guidelines regarding health and safety.
- Plan and perform experiments in support of research projects in collaboration with postdocs and graduate students.
- DNA construct design and cloning for bacterial and mammalian protein expression.
- DNA isolation and sequence analysis.
- Production of recombinant vaccine candidate proteins using a mammalian expression system, purification and characterization of proteins.
- Establishing contact with contract research organizations (CRO) and subsequently coordinating, negotiating, and outsourcing relevant laboratory tasks.
- Maintain detailed records of experiments and results.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with new procedures and related research.
- Contribute to the publication of findings as needed. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals. Use appropriate software to create figures for publications and presentations.
- Help with general lab organization and maintenance as needed.
*- Other duties may also be assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry or a related scientific field or equivalent technical qualification.
- Experience and comprehensive understanding of molecular biology, cell biology and biochemistry principles.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
- Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift, carry, push and pull objects weighing over 30 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders, sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Position may require repetitive motion.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne pathogens.
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present.
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors bases on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4945
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: E
- Requisition ID: 87684