Associate Professor/Professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Maternal Fetal Medicine
Nepean Clinical School
Faculty of Medicine and Health, Sydney Medical School
Reference no. 002/0121F
- Exciting opportunity for an outstanding senior academic to play a major role in shaping the direction of translational research in maternal fetal medicine
- Be a part of a clinical team supported by a highly regarded perinatal ultrasound unit and experienced maternofetal medicine sonographers
- 5 year fixed-term position with an attractive remuneration package
About the opportunity
The University of Sydney is Australia’s premier University with an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. It employs over 8,100 permanent staff supporting over 73,000 students.
The Faculty of Medicine and Health is the largest faculty in the University and contains seven academic schools, including Sydney Medical School (SMS). SMS has clinical schools located in metropolitan and rural campuses. The clinical schools, including Nepean Clinical School in Penrith, each have strong collaborative relationships with the health services within communities in which they are located. The Faculty operates across three large health precincts where University facilities are co-located with hospitals and medical research institutes. These are Central precinct, where the University’s Camperdown campus is located, Northern precinct, and Western precinct, which includes the Nepean Hospital in Penrith, and Westmead and Children’s Hospitals and their institutes at Westmead. Each precinct is a centre of multi-professional and multi-disciplinary education and research.
We are currently seeking an outstanding academic to be our Associate Professor or Professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (Maternal Fetal Medicine) at Nepean Clinical School in Sydney Medical School. The Associate Professor or Professor will be responsible for the success of the academic and research components of Nepean Clinical School, in SMS and the Division of Women and Children’s Health at Nepean Blue Mountains Local Health District (NBMLHD). NBMLHD in Western Sydney is a district experiencing a major population growth. It is co-located with the future Aerotropolis (incorporating Penrith, the new Airport area and Liverpool).
The Associate Professor or Professor will work as part of a clinical team at Nepean Hospital which is supported by a highly regarded perinatal ultrasound unit and experienced maternofetal medicine sonographers. The successful applicant will also make seminal academic contributions to the field of maternal and fetal medicine in research, and education. They will interact with major stakeholders and affiliates across the Nepean clinical school, medical school and faculty.
The successful applicant must be a medical graduate eligible for AHPRA registration, hold a Fellowship of the Royal Australasian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists or equivalent specialist registration as provided for under the Health Insurance Act 1973, and have a higher research degree (PhD or equivalent).
The applicant is expected to pursue academic research of national and international significance and to play a major role in shaping the direction of translational research in maternal fetal medicine from Nepean Clinical School and Nepean Hospital. The incumbent will also provide contributions to in medical education the Head of the Nepean Clinical School and MD program director and will contribute to teaching at all relevant levels. The incumbent will also be expected to supervise higher degree research students (PhD, MPhil) through the Western Precinct.
In this position you will also hold a separate clinical appointment with Nepean Blue Mountains LHD through which you will:
- provide leadership in the development, implementation and promotion of clinical programs at the Nepean Hospital
- collaborate with the Division of Women and Children’s Health and across other divisions and departments to develop annual and long-term plans for improving health care quality, safety, process improvement and value
- oversee strategic planning and financial management including budgets, operations improvement, and health system development and management
- provide clinical care as part of the Obstetrics and Gynaecology team, specialized in Maternal Fetal Medicine including actively contributing to all department activities, e.g. quality and safety and service improvement
- promote a culture that is collaborative, team oriented, and one that respects the skill sets and opinions of all faculty and staff.
Term and remuneration
The University appointment is a full-time, 5 year fixed-term position. It is subject to the completion of a satisfactory probation period for new appointees, and a competitive salary package will be negotiated with the successful applicant.
The Clinical appointment will be negotiated with NBMLHD.
How to apply
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. For more information on the position and how to apply, visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment/ and search by the reference number 002/0121F.
Closing date: 11.30pm (AEDT), Sunday 21 February 2021
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, are encouraged.
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
© The University of Sydney