Number of Positions: One (1)
Category: Contract of part time employment for 1 year, with potential for renewal for 1 more year.
Location of Employment: University of Cyprus, Medical School, Nicosia
The Medical School of the University of Cyprus accepts applications for one (1) post-graduate associate (research assistant) for the research program "The University of Cyprus Action Against Antimicrobial Resistance (START)" of the Experimental Pharmacology Laboratory, directed by Dr Nikolas Dietis (Assistant Professor of Pharmacology, University of Cyprus Medical School). The START research program aims to the discovery of new antimicrobial drugs against antimicrobial resistance. Τhe objective of the program is to screen the pharmacology of a newly-formed compound library, composed of new chemicals owned by the University of Cyprus, known clinical drugs and extracts from symbiotic bacteria in Cypriot plants (endophytes), against a Bacterial Bank consisting of sensitive and resistant pathogenic microbes. The START program will set the platform for future studies on the discovery of new antibiotic drugs and the management of the rising antimicrobial resistance, two targets that are considered as National Priorities by the Republic of Cyprus, as described in the "National Antimicrobial Resistance Strategy of Cyprus” and the "Smart Specialization Strategy of Cyprus" of the Republic of Cyprus.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Research Assistant will work at the Experimental Pharmacology Laboratory of the University of Cyprus Medical School under the supervision of Dr Nikolas Dietis, aiming to achieve the research objectives of the START program. More specifically, the successful candidate is expected to have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Review of existing literature on current issues of antibacterial drug action and antimicrobial resistance
- Development of methodology of laboratory experiments in collaboration with the Lab’s supervisor.
- Application of laboratory experiments and analysis of experimental data.
- Organization and management of compounds and bacterial collections.
- Laboratory organization and management (daily laboratory work, equipment preparation and cleaning, ordering supplies / equipment, record-keeping).
- Support the lab’s supervisor in the overall management of the research program.
- Collaboration with the members of the Laboratory Research Group to achieve the objectives of the programme.
- Frequent and productive communication with the project partners, in English or Greek
The lab’s Supervisor will provide introductory training to the Postgraduate Associate on the specific experimental pharmacological analysis methods used in the Program.
- Candidates must hold a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in a relevant field .
- Candidates must have evidence of research experience/knowledge in the field of microbiology or bacteriology or antimicrobial resistance or antibiotic pharmacology.
- Candidates must have at least one (1) research publication in a peer-review journal, as authors. Good knowledge of the Greek and English language.
DESIRABLE QUALITIES AND SKILLS:
Demonstration of evidence for one or more of the following qualities and skills will be considered as a significant advantage in the evaluation of the candidates' applications:
- Organizational and managerial skills in a laboratory environment.
- Ability to communicate efficiently with colleagues in problem-solving. Team-working skills and the ability to work autonomously with minimal supervision.
Applicants are not required to be citizens of the Republic of Cyprus.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The duration of employment will be for twelve (12) months. The monthly gross salary for the part-time work (108,05 hours/month) will equal to €1261,96/month (gross salary). Employee contributions will be deducted from this amount.
The programme does not provide a 13th salary.
Potential candidates are requested to submit the following documentation in Greek or English, by Thursday, 21st of January 2021 (end of day):
- A letter of interest for the post, in which the candidates will explain why they believe are able to cover the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- An updated Curriculum Vitae with a description of previous experience and training.
- Copies of degrees & diplomas or relevant certificates.
- Contact details of at least two academics from whom letters of recommendation may be requested.
Applications must be sent electronically in PDF or Word format to the Programme Coordinator, Dr. Nikolas Dietis, at firstname.lastname@example.org by the above deadline, with the subject "START: Post Graduate Position".
Applicants that meet the necessary qualifications will be invited by email for an interview which will take place on Monday, 25th of January 2020, online over Zoom.