Business Analyst, Financial Reporting
The Business Analyst elicits, analyzes, validates, specifies, verifies, manages and tests business process solutions and requirements related to Financial Reporting. This position performs business process analytics and facilitates testing design and execution. The team is a “high-touch” collaborative environment and the BA will work closely with the Functional Lead/Sr. BI Developer and the Technical Lead to define scope and timeline and identify/mitigate risks for projects of different sizes focused on various applications including Workday, Yale Budgeting Tool, Finance DataMart.
The Business Analyst will be responsible for the following:
- Work effectively with the project sponsor, project manager and other members of the Reporting team. Be the liaison between the business units, technology teams and support teams. Support the project through implementation and post-project support.
- Troubleshoots problems and provide ongoing maintenance and support for data repositories (applications, data marts, etc.) and reports.
- Write requirements specifications according to standard templates and tools.
- Decompose high-level business needs into structured requirements, use cases, user stories/scenarios, business rules, functional and non-functional requirements; with sufficient detail to satisfy the needs of the business, developers and testers.
- Lead requirements elicitation, analysis and verification, ensuring that requirement statements are complete, consistent, concise, comprehensible, traceable, feasible, unambiguous, and verifiable, and that they conform to standards.
- Represent requirements using alternative views, such as analysis models (diagrams), prototypes, or scenarios, wireframes where appropriate.
- Documentation of the “as is” and “to be” business processes using standard process modeling tools and process improvement methodologies.
- Participate in requirements prioritization and solution risk analysis.
- Participate in peer reviews and inspections of requirements documents. Participate in peer reviews of work products derived from requirements specifications to ensure that the requirements are interpreted correctly.
- Manage requirements traceability information and track requirements status throughout the project.
- Manage changes to base line requirements through effective application of change control processes and tools.
- Facilitate user acceptance testing and draft UAT test plans, ensure test data available and draft test cases.
- Facilitate change management processes, draft communications plans and draft communications.
- Support the testers in testing and quality assurance process by clarifying requirements.
- Collaborate with developers and end-users to ensure that application functionality meets client needs, test solutions, problem-solve issues, coordinate enhancements.
- Collaborate with developers and subject matter experts to establish the technical vision and analyze tradeoffs between usability and performance needs.
- Strong personal time management skills and ability to meet individual and team deadlines.
- Works closely with subject matter experts and client groups for projects or programs of a medium to large size to consult, conduct analysis, and identify business objectives and solutions.
- Identifies core customer business issues and provides solution recommendations to address them. Develops necessary tools and workshops to successfully identify issues and evaluate recommendations.
- Gathers, receives and interprets data, analyses, and reports. Develops reporting modules, ad-hoc reports, and related reporting tools. Conducts research, data gathering, data analysis, modeling, projecting and scenario analyses, with the aid of planning technology and databases. Develops and harnesses the data that is available to identify existing business issues and key drivers and develops solutions and initiatives.
- Evaluates data gathered from multiple sources in order to support the issues, conclusions and recommendations.
- Analyzes data with standard methods, interprets the results, and provides written summary and reporting of analysis.
- Develops and validates queries for the successful extraction of appropriate data.
- Develops and maintain documentations and libraries on key processes.
- Ensures accuracy to maintain the high quality and integrity of information, data and databases.
- Contributes to the development of unit and/or University plans and strategies. Researches, gathers data and provides recommendations.
- Collaborates with key stakeholders and subject matter experts to establish the vision, analyze costs and benefits and support implementation. Ensures strategic and tactical plans are carried out.
- Communicates effectively the perspective of business opportunities, needs, and risks.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and four years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Proven experience translating business needs into business/functional requirements and to formulate action plans. Demonstrated ability in leading/facilitating requirements gathering activities, including documenting complete functional and non-functional requirements and managing changes.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Detailed oriented with focus on precision. Well-developed analytical and problem-solving skills and ability to work with a wide variety of stakeholders, from senior leadership to transactional staff.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills with the ability to clearly articulate complex analysis, make independent decisions, prioritize multiple projects and perform under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Exceptional organizational skills, with advanced ability to manage multiple tasks and concurrent priorities. Highly flexible and adaptable to change.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Ability to function effectively independently and as part of a team working in a collaborative environment, receiving and providing feedback.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Experience working with data elements and reports in Workday. In depth knowledge of Yale financial data, including grants, awards, procurement, accounts payable and YBT. Experience with business intelligence reporting tools, such as Microsoft PowerBI.
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus