Lecturer, Veterinary Pre-clinical Sciences
Work type: Fixed Term
Division/Faculty: Faculty of Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences
Department/School: Melbourne Veterinary School
Salary: $105,232 - $124,958 (Level B)
Role & Superannuation rate: Academic - Full time - 9.5% super
An exciting opportunity has become available for a Lecturer in Veterinary Pre-Clinical Sciences to provide teaching in areas of animal health, metabolism and the cardiovascular system on a fixed-term basis up to October 2021.
About the role
The Lecturer (Veterinary Pre-Clinical Sciences) will provide excellence in teaching and will contribute to the Faculty’s teaching in areas such as animal health, metabolism and the cardiovascular system. The position will draw upon clinical and basic scientific knowledge to deliver teaching to undergraduate and graduate students in the DVM program, particularly in the areas of physiology, immunology and pharmacology related to the domestic animals.
Reporting to the Head of Department, Veterinary Biosciences, the Lecturer (Veterinary Pre-Clinical Sciences) will received broad direction, with the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
The Lecturer (Veterinary Pre-Clinical Sciences) will actively participate in provision of mentoring and teaching of DVM students. The position will actively participate in leadership and service both within and outside the University and broader community and be an effective member of committees at the Department, School and Faculty as appropriate. As a Lecturer (Veterinary Pre-Clinical Sciences), the incumbent will have demonstrated experience of independent teaching and will be required to develop teaching materials and contribute to the management and development of Veterinary Pre-Clinical Science teaching within the School. Lecturers at the University will have experience in scholarly activities through independent contribution in professional practice and expertise resulting in a sustained level of high impact publications and outputs.
- An awarded relevant veterinary degree or equivalent degree registrable in the State of Victoria or a post-graduate research degree awarded in a relevant discipline, or close to completion with relevant experience in a similar position.
- Demonstrated experience and the ability to provide teaching, guide, supervise and mentor students, trainees and technicians, as appropriate to students within the discipline.
- Prior experience in innovative and effective teaching at undergraduate/DVM level within a related discipline and/or at other Universities.
- Demonstrated capacity to work independently under limited supervision and as a member of the team to deliver high-quality teaching and/or scholarly outcomes.
- Excellent organisational and administrative abilities and strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated experience in providing academic mentoring and consultation to students.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, appropriate for scientific and lay audiences including the preparation of original oral and written presentations and publications.
- Demonstrated capacity to attract, or assist in attracting, external funding to support teaching and/or scholarly activities.
- Evidence of capacity to develop innovative approaches to teaching in veterinary science.
- Developed cross-cultural sensitivity in teaching and learning.
To ensure the University provides a safe environment for children, this position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check.
For information to assist you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria, please go to: https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
Applications close: 04 Feb 2021 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time