Biobank Lab Manager, Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Department
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Description Summary
The Lung Transplant Biobank collects and stores biological specimens for several large multi-site cohort studies. The biobank lab manager will oversee the daily operations of the lung transplant biobank, including the management of samples, staff and equipment for the laboratory. The incumbent will work closely with study investigators, clinical research staff, research teams within the University and external sites to ensure the highest quality samples are collected, processed, inventoried, distributed and analyzed.
The biobank lab manager will manage the day-to-day operations of the lung transplant biobank. This includes biosample collection, processing, management, and distribution. The incumbent will manage the laboratory information management system (LIMS) used to track samples collected for several large cohort studies. They will supervise and train staff and students on proper implementation of the system as well as processing and analysis techniques. Additional responsibilities include but are not limited to space planning, freezer monitoring and response, record keeping, equipment maintenance/calibration, and safety compliance. The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented, able to successfully multi-task, support several projects simultaneously, and know how to identify/recognize and resolve issues with minimal supervision.
- Master's Degree in biological science with 3-5 years of related experience in research, clinical study, project and people management or equivalent combination of education and experience is required
- Previous experience and comfort handling clinical specimens such as human bodily fluids and tissues are required.
- Previous experience with blood processing, including serum, plasma, and buffy coat is preferred.
- Knowledge of laboratory information management systems (LIMS) including barcoding, sample processing, management, storage, and retrieval is highly preferred.
- The candidate is expected to have strong organizational and time management skills, able to manage and prioritize multiple projects and work independently, as well as collaboratively across several teams and sites. The candidate is expected to have a keen attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
This position is contingent upon funding.
Office, Library, Computer Room; Requires extensive safety; Exposure to chemicals;
Typically sitting at a desk or table; Occasional lifting 25 lb. or less
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
Perelman School of Medicine
$50,684.00 - $91,232.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.