The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Description Summary
Under general supervision, prepares documents and correspondence requiring knowledge of legal terminology and formats such as, but not limited to, contracts, resolutions, briefs, and pleadings. Performs a wide variety of routine secretarial and administrative tasks.
- Provides confidential administrative support to legal staff. Provides specific secretarial support to a particular legal specialty or team within the Office of the General Counsel (e.g., tax and benefits, corporate, transactional, intellectual property, real estate, litigation, employment, etc.)
- Assists with the preparation of contracts, corporate, transactional, intellectual property, claims, risk management, and other legal documents, correspondence, reports, etc.
- Operates word processing equipment to type materials from rough drafts, corrected copy, voice recordings, and magnetic tape files, insuring appropriateness of form and content. Types or enters and assembles a variety of legal forms, schedules, reports, lists, correspondence, calendars, briefs, facsimile requests, and opinions. Proofreads and corrects materials for correct grammar, syntax, and punctuation, for clerical accuracy, and for spelling. Composes, compares, edits, revises, tabulates, and/or prints letters, tables, reports, and other materials.
- Sets up and maintains calendars and appointment schedules for attorneys. Reserves meeting locations and arranges for supplies such as overheads, handouts, or other materials as needed. Promptly communicates any changes being made to schedules to attorneys and all other involved parties. Prepares meeting confirmations. Pulls and reviews files for daily calendars. Ensures meeting files are up to date and contain all pertinent information; follows through on requesting missing information and/or brings to attorney’s attention for action. Makes travel and lodging arrangements for attorneys, and prepares expense and expense reimbursement requests.
- With high degree of professionalism, tact, diplomacy, and common sense, takes and responds to telephone calls from and to clients, University and Health System administrators, faculty, students, and other internal and external personnel. Responds to questions and or directs them to the appropriate staff member or other University, or Health System offices. Independently handles those that do not require the personal attention of an attorney or paralegal.
- Assists with compiling and maintaining letters, agreements, and other documentation. Maintains ticklers, inputs data into databases, spreadsheets, and other tracking systems. Sets up, maintains, and organizes files, both paper and electronic versions. Uses personal computer to produce special request materials such as databases, proposals, charts, graphs, presentation materials, mailing lists, legal materials, and meeting agendas.
- Receives, opens, prioritizes and distributes mail. Operates Windows PC, photocopiers, scanners, and printers. Proficient using MS Office (Word, Outlook, Access, Excel, and PowerPoint). Performs general office duties.
- Establishes and maintains professional working relationships and works in collaboration with other members of the Office of the General Counsel.
- Assists counsel with research, including obtaining copies of statutes, regulations, ordinances, corporate filings, and cases as directed.
- Performs special projects as assigned. Performs other related duties in areas of responsibility as assigned, including but not limited to logistics of conference and other group event planning.
- Requires superior word processing skills.
- Requires analytical, research, and writing skills.
- Maintains effective work relationships at all levels.
- Exercises discretion in working with highly confidential information.
- Must be able to think independently, initiate and recognize basic requirements, and develop and follow through on additional requirements on a case-by-case basis.
- Must recognize deadlines and prioritize work accordingly. Will be involved with counsel in directing and responding to requests of outside counsel.
- Must be able to independently handle requests for information and assistance to counsel.
- Must be able to effectively organize and handle a large volume of documents on a variety of topics.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with co-workers and clients.
- Must be able to work cooperatively and demonstrate teamwork.
- Must be able to deal tactfully, professionally, and in a variety of situations with all levels of management.
- Must be energetic and flexible.
- Must speak, read, and write fluent English
- Must be a high school graduate, associate or bachelor degree preferred.
- A minimum of three years advanced secretarial training.
- Minimum of five years experience at a comparable level.
- Training and/or experience as a legal secretary required.
- Experience with legal, technical, and medical terminology preferred.
- Highly skilled working in a PC Windows 10 environment, proficiency using Microsoft Office 2016/O365 (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access,) Adobe Acrobat, Internet Explorer and other computer software applications.
- Must accurately type 95 words per minute (wpm.)
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
$20.00 - $36.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.