The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Description Summary
Reporting directly to the Director of Financial Operations, PSOM EVD-CSO, the Payroll Manager provide human resource and operational management support to approximately 1,000 graduate students, predominately in the Biomedical Graduate and Combined Degree programs. Manage the hiring process, onboarding of graduate students and staff, merit increase process, broad sectional communications, and graduate student and staff planning processes while maintaining compliance with university and Federal training and reporting requirements. Serve as point person across Penn for any payroll or human resource issues and any consolidated reporting.
- Manage the graduate student and staff life-cycles within Workday, including the onboarding, program progression and coordination of funding sources. This individual will be the initiator of the all graduate student and staff related actions within Workday.
- Maintain graduate student tax related information and coordinate the dissemination of tax related information to all graduate students.
- Approver of expense reports submitted by students through the University’s expense reimbursement system.
- Prepares and monitors budgets, financial forecasts, and financial analyses and the actual vs. budgeted performance for certain student groups.
- Performs analyses, reconciliation and reporting using various tools to include, excel and business objects.
- Implements University and departmental policies as they pertain to the administrative function of the unit.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Bachelor's degree and 3 to 5 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
Experience with University systems, including Workday, BEN, Business Objects, CONCUR preferred. Extensive experience using database and spreadsheet software required. Good oral and written communication skills, quantitative and analytical agility, ability to work independently, on multiple projects, prioritize work and meet tight deadlines in a complex financial and administrative environment essential. Must be able to function as part of a team and develop good working relationships with diverse level of employees. Workday experience is critical. Knowledge of University policies desired. Must have demonstrated experience supporting and working with several offices. Ability to communicate policy and processes, written and oral, to faculty, students and staff.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
Perelman School of Medicine
$42,953.00 - $77,315.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.