Dental Assistant, All Levels including EFDA, Penn Dental Family Practice
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Description Summary
Penn Dental Medicine’s Family Practice (PDFP) is interested in hiring the best and the brightest dental assistants who are looking to broaden their skill sets and gain valuable experience in the art and science of the dental field. As a member of the PDFP family, individuals are provided the opportunity to work alongside a diverse team whose mission is to provide quality dental care which exceeds patient expectations. Ideal candidates must:
- Be ready to have a voice on a highly collaborative team
- Stay thirsty and always seek to learn and improve upon patient service and clinical practice
- SMILE…because WE make people smile!
Penn Dental Family Practice is comprised of over 35 doctors, 15 dental hygienists, 22 dental assistants, 17 staff AND GROWING! Together, the team works collaboratively to provide multi-specialty care utilizing leading techniques in patient care.
- POSITIVE ENERGY AND ENTHUSIASM, with a strong commitment to exceeding patient and team expectations
- FLEXIBILITY AND OPENNESS to work as a team in a variety of roles, assignments and duties
- TEAM PLAYER a strong desire to be an active, long-term participant in the growth and success of the practice
- ABILITY TO ADAPT AND LEARN QUICKLY, make an immediate, sustainable impact, and provide value-added service to patients and team
- STRONG COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS, displaying the ability to connect and build relationships with team members/peers and patients
- CONFIDENCE IN PROFESSIONAL APTITUDE and ability to effectively convey skills, knowledge and qualifications to patients
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & POSITION EXPECTATIONS
- Technical School, Certification, or training required beyond High School and minimum of 3 years of practical experience in a dental care facility or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Current CPR certification and BLS required.
- Employment clearance through the State of PA to work on/with children: as determined through Pennsylvania Criminal Background Check, Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance and FBI Finger Printing Database is required.
- Experience with AxiUm preferred.
- Ability to accommodate different scheduling requirements based on the operational needs of the Penn Dental Family Practice.
Experience in supporting dental care delivery including: preparation of treatment rooms, setting up patient instruments and materials, passing instruments and performing procedures in compliance with the dental practice is preferred.
- Prepares patient for dental treatment by welcoming, comforting, seating, and obtaining medical history and patient vitals, and draping patient.
- Documents dental care services by charting in patient records. Provides information to patients and employees by answering questions and requests.
- Provides materials by selecting, mixing, and placing materials on instruments and in the patient's mouth.
- Make appropriate study models on indicated patients.
- Expose, process, and mount necessary x-rays
- Provides diagnostic information by exposing and developing radiographic studies; pouring, trimming, and polishing study casts.
- Maintains patient appearance and ability to masticate by fabricating temporary restorations; cleaning and polishing removable appliances.
- Aid in chairside assistance as needed.
- Educate and motivate patients by giving oral hygiene and plaque control instructions, presents and explains treatment plants to patients, demonstrates effective communication to bridge the gap between a pending treatment plan and a completed treatment plan, provides postoperative instructions and schedules and subsequent visits.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Helps dentist manage dental and medical emergencies by maintaining CPR certification, emergency drug and oxygen supply, and emergency telephone directory.
- Conserves dental resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results; monitors inventory; maintains proper usage and operations of equipment.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- To date, clinical hours are Monday through Friday 7:00AM – 6:00PM; flexibility in scheduling is required for all positions.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing and supporting as assigned.
Penn Dental Family Practice is the multispecialty dental practice of Penn Dental Medicine. With general dentists as well as specialists, patients can receive your comprehensive care for all your dental needs within each of the two practice locations. Patients benefit from a team of experts who practice using the leading techniques and technologies in dentistry and who are committed to providing compassionate, personalized care.
At Penn Dental Medicine, our students are among the nation’s best, and they are matched in quality by the high level of instruction and research among our faculty. Our research encompasses all the basic and clinical sciences, and Penn’s emphasis on interdisciplinary scholarship encourages collaborations across disciplines. Our clinical care brings the latest techniques and technologies to patients within our teaching clinics and faculty practice. As stewards of the neighborhood in which we reside, Penn Dental Medicine participates in a diversity of community outreach programs, serving area residents while teaching our students to practice with compassion and responsibility.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
School of Dental Medicine
$17.58 - $31.65
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.