Dental Hygienist, Penn Dental Family Practice
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Description Summary
Penn Dental Medicine’s Family Practice (PDFP) is interested in hiring the best and the brightest dental hygienists – who are looking to broaden their skill sets and gain valuable experience in the art and science of the dental field. As a member of the PDFP family, individuals are provided the opportunity to work alongside a diverse team whose mission is to provide quality dental care which exceeds patient expectations. Ideal candidates must:
- Be ready to have a voice on a highly collaborative team
- Stay thirsty and always seek to learn and improve upon patient service and clinical practice
- SMILE…because WE make people smile!
Penn Dental Family Practice is comprised of over 35 doctors, 15 dental hygienists, 22 dental assistants, 17 staff AND GROWING! Together, the team works collaboratively to provide multi-specialty care utilizing leading techniques in patient care.
- POSITIVE ENERGY AND ENTHUSIASM, with a strong commitment to exceeding patient and team expectations
- FLEXIBILITY AND OPENNESS to work as a team in a variety of roles, assignments and duties
- TEAM PLAYER a strong desire to be an active, long-term participant in the growth and success of the practice
- ABILITY TO ADAPT AND LEARN QUICKLY, make an immediate, sustainable impact, and provide value-added service to patients and team
- STRONG COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS, displaying the ability to connect and build relationships with team members/peers and patients
- CONFIDENCE IN PROFESSIONAL APTITUDE and ability to effectively convey skills, knowledge and qualifications to patients
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & POSITION EXPECTATIONS
- An Associate's Degree or two year college equivalent and 3 years to 5 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- CPR certification required.
- Employment clearance through the State of PA to work on/with children: as determined through Pennsylvania Criminal Background Check, Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance and FBI Finger Printing Database is required.
- Experience with Axium preferred.
- Ability to accommodate different scheduling requirements based on the operational needs of the Penn Dental Family Practice.
Our ideal candidate will partner and collaborate with a team of talented, engaged dental assistants and dentists in providing exceptional patient experiences. Additionally, individuals selected for this role will have experience and champion their position as a leader of the clinical practice – serving as an educator and role model to dental assistants as well as partner and bridge for dentists and patient care.
- Experience in sedation procedures and/or ACLS certification is desired, but not required.
- Prepares patient for dental hygiene treatment by setting up and breaking down operatory, as well as nitrous units when needed
- Supports dentist with nitrous oxide unit set-up and monitoring levels through duration of patient appointment
- Ensure that operatories are well supplied with necessary supplies
- Handle sharpening, sterilization, and maintenance of all instruments and equipment
- Escort patients to and from operatories
- Help to acquaint patients with preventive care-oriented practice philosophy
- Help to maintain and manage patient recall system
- Perform thorough oral prophylaxis (cleanings) on scheduled patients which include proper use of ultrasonic cleaning devices, scaling instruments, polishing and flossing
- Conduct dental and periodontal assessments, providing oral cancer screening, charting conditions of decay and disease (via axiUm), capturing digital images (via MiPacs) and documenting interventions performed electronically by recording vital signs, clinical notes and procedures.
- Arrests dental decay by applying topical fluorides and occlusal sealants on indicated patients, recommending cavity-preventing agents as needed
- Educate and motivate patients by giving oral hygiene and plaque control instructions, presents and explains treatment plants to patients, demonstrates effective communication to bridge the gap between a pending treatment plan and a completed treatment plan, provides postoperative instructions and schedules and subsequent visits.
- Explain treatment alternatives to patients
- Review and revise patient histories and record patient's vital signs
- Chart existing restorations on new patients and notate clinical evidence of disease presence
- Record specific treatment performed on patient chart, as well as other patient information as needed.
- Provides digital x-rays and chairside assistance when available, as needed
- Help to reconfirm and appoint patients
- Maintain patient confidence and protect operations by keeping information confidential
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
- Conserves dental resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results; monitors inventory; maintains proper usage and operations of equipment.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- To date, clinical hours are Monday through Friday 8:00AM – 5:00PM; flexibility in scheduling is required for all positions.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing and supporting as assigned.
Penn Dental Family Practice is the multispecialty dental practice of Penn Dental Medicine. With general dentists as well as specialists, patients can receive your comprehensive care for all your dental needs within each of the two practice locations. Patients benefit from a team of experts who practice using the leading techniques and technologies in dentistry and who are committed to providing compassionate, personalized care.
At Penn Dental Medicine, our students are among the nation’s best, and they are matched in quality by the high level of instruction and research among our faculty. Our research encompasses all the basic and clinical sciences, and Penn’s emphasis on interdisciplinary scholarship encourages collaborations across disciplines. Our clinical care brings the latest techniques and technologies to patients within our teaching clinics and faculty practice. As stewards of the neighborhood in which we reside, Penn Dental Medicine participates in a diversity of community outreach programs, serving area residents while teaching our students to practice with compassion and responsibility.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
School of Dental Medicine
$27.85 - $50.13
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.