Application Administrator/Systems Analyst, Learning Management System
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Description Summary
The Penn Libraries, Educational Technology and Learning Management Group, has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated, application developer to join our team.
This position will report to the Assistant Director, who maintains a portfolio of software tools and applications that support large-scale, high-volume services in support of teaching and learning. As part of an agile, high-performance team with expanding responsibilities, the candidate will work in a very collaborative and dynamic environment to design, develop and administer applications for learning and teaching. The candidate will also collaborate with other units on campus and elsewhere to identify areas of service improvements and potential future enhancements for the learning management system (LMS) based on customer requests and feedback.
Qualified candidates must be able to demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal. This role requires someone who can work under minimal supervision, proactively anticipates and resolves problems, and has the passion to meet or exceed customer expectations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Minimum of four years demonstrated professional software development experience
- Proven programming skills working with Java, Python, Ruby and associated web application frameworks (Spring, Django, Rails)
- Ability to take design specification and create working prototype with valid HTML5/CSS
- Demonstrated experience with relational database platform (e.g. Oracle, MySQL, PostgresSQL); Fluency in writing complex SQL statements;
- Experienced user with distributed version control systems
- Proven ability in troubleshooting, support skills and escalation
- Demonstrated knowledge of application design principles and application architecture
- Strong problem solving and communication skills;
- Experience of Amazon and/or Google cloud skills for application deployment and configuration, big data solutions, etc.
- Experience with developing information technology systems for a large organization including both current and leading-edge technologies.
- Data science and machine learning skills
- Experience implementing continuous integration, continuous delivery, and/or continuous deployment * Strong interpersonal communications, problem solving/critical thinking, and high-quality service skills
- Experience working with one of the major LMS systems on the system-administrator level.
- Demonstrated experience developing LTI tools, strong familiarity with LTI standard, and experience administering technical operations of a learning management system (LMS) such as Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace or Moodle in a university setting are all highly desirable.
The ideal candidate will have experience with the Canvas LMS, demonstrated technical abilities, a strong customer-service orientation, and excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills. *** REQUIRED*** Please submit a resume and cover letter as one attachment when applying.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
$50,684.00 - $138,391.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.