Head of Circulation Services
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Posted Job Title
Head of Circulation Services
Job Profile Title
Job Description Summary
Reporting to the Director of Access Services, the Head of Circulation Services provides leadership, ongoing support and training of staff in promoting a culture of teamwork, welcoming and responsive customer service and continuous advances in service delivery for Circulation Services at Van Pelt Dietrich Library Center. The Librarian also coordinates circulation policies and services throughout the Penn Libraries, and works closely with senior library managers on continuous user-centered service development efforts and must be able to function with a high level of independence, to work competently with quantitative information and statistical methods, and write clearly and effectively.
- Administration of operations of Circulation Services unit
- Supervise approximately 8 full-time staff in Access Services
- Supports relationships among library managers and staff to ensure smooth development, implementation and coordination of library-wide access services initiatives and progress related to the strategic agenda. Monitors the progress against plans and keeps all appropriately informed of initiatives and progress.
- Helps devise metrics and benchmarks used to evaluate progress of library user services efforts and assess planning outcomes through quantitative and qualitative analysis.
- Performs business analysis function for proposed or existing services and workflows relating to strategic planning.
- Participates in library-wide task forces and committees, including Alma Team and Alma Analytics
- Identifies, recommends, and documents policies affecting project implementation and helps to formulate service agreements between departments
- Represent the Penn Libraries at local, regional and national conferences and organizations
- Participates in library-wide task forces and committees
- Minimum 3 years relevant professional experience in a client-centered service organization, and supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of public service, access services, resource sharing and technical infrastructure required for access and delivery of content.
- Substantive experience in or demonstrated understanding of academic libraries
- Experience with a major ILS (integrated library system)
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Excellent collaborative and team skills
- Strong data analysis and interpretive skills
*** REQUIRED*** Please submit a resume and cover letter as one attachment when applying.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
$50,684.00 - $91,232.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.