Postdoctoral Researcher, Faculty of Arts
The University of Helsinki, founded in 1640, is one of the best multidisciplinary research universities in the world. The University of Helsinki is an international academic community of 40,000 students and staff members. It operates on four campuses in Helsinki and at 15 other locations.
The University of Helsinki, Faculty of Arts (https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-arts) is Finland’s oldest and largest unit of teaching and research in the arts in terms of the structure and selection of its disciplines. The Faculty is also a significant international community of research, education and culture.
The Faculty of Arts, University of Helsinki, invites applications for the position of
for a fixed term of two years starting as soon as possible, latest on March 1, 2021. There is a six-month trial period for the position.
The successful candidate will conduct research and publication in the field of sociology of religion, related to the research of Associate Professor Titus Hjelm. The work duties of the selected candidate include:
- Data collection (documents and interviews)
- Analysing quantitative (survey) and qualitative data using multivariate statistical models and coding/content analysis
- Publishing the results in scientific journals
- Preparing research proposals for future projects.
The position is based in Helsinki.
- Applicants must hold a doctoral degree in sociology, or other doctoral degree relevant to the social-scientific study of religion
- Excellent command of English, both written and spoken
- Prior publications in international journals
- Preferred: Background knowledge of contemporary religion in Europe (in general, or one or more countries) and/or religion and migration, experience in advanced multivariate analysis.
In addition to research, the successful applicant is also expected to dedicate 5% of their working time to teaching within their field of expertise. The person should have good social skills and have a pro-active attitude toward their work.
The salary will be based on level 5 of the demand level chart for teaching and research personnel in the salary system of the Finnish universities. In addition, the appointees will be paid a salary component based on personal performance. The starting salary will be ca. 3300 - 3800 euros/month, depending on the appointee’s qualifications and experience and including a salary component based on personal performance. Standard Finnish pension benefits and occupational health care are provided for University employees.
For further information please contact Associate Professor Titus Hjelm, +358 294122193, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application should include (1) CV with a list of publications (2) a description of the applicants skills with respect to the requirements described on this announcement and a short description of how the applicant’s research interest fit with the position (max. 2 pages), (3) a copy of the PhD and (4) other documents relevant to the application.
Please submit your application using the University of Helsinki Recruitment System via the Apply link (https://rekry.helsinki.fi/start). Applicants who are employees of the University of Helsinki are requested to leave their application via the SAP HR portal.
19.01.2021 23:59 EET