Director, Fan Experience
Job Code: 4884
Stanford’s Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation:
Stanford’s Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation (“DAPER”) is the premier intercollegiate athletics program in the country. We are the proud Home of Champions! We lead the nation with 126 NCAA championship titles, won the Women’s Capital One Cup four of the last five years, and have brought home the Learfield Director’s Cup for 25 straight years. We support nearly 900 student-athletes who compete on 36 intercollegiate athletics teams and also support the university’s physical education, recreation and wellness initiatives. Our dedicated staff embody a culture of excellence, embrace our mission of scholar-athleticism and exemplify a relentless championship spirit. Our actions and staff are guided by the core tenets of the Athletics Department culture, “The DAPER Way,” which are: Embrace Scholar-Athleticism, Pursue and Revere Excellence, Lead with Courage and Work Cohesively.
Are you ready to inspire champions? If yes, then this may be the right opportunity for you!
The Stanford University Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation is currently accepting applications for the position of Director, Fan Experience. Reporting to the Associate Athletics Director, Marketing & Fan Experience, this position will oversee a lean team whose ultimate charge is to create a compelling in-venue experience for our student-athletes and fans alike. This team will design, program and direct events that satisfy the evolving preferences of fans, create long-lasting memories, and persuade the community to continue to attend. This is a full-time, exempt position.
Your responsibilities include:
- Managing a team of two full-time professionals, in addition to hiring and overseeing contingent staff
- Overseeing all aspects of event presentation, game experience and sponsorship activation, including, but not limited to, writing game scripts and timelines, directing events, creating and managing videoboard content, designing elements as needed, managing game day staff, and building out a complete fan experience in-venue
- Developing and implementing entertaining elements for Stanford home events with programming to include in-game promotions, fan contests, on-field/court recognitions, theme nights, and pyrotechnics and special effects
- Innovating, and implementing new ideas to create a home advantage and to further differentiate live events from the at-home experience, and from other local entertainment options
- Collaborating closely with creative staff to ensure videoboard and in-game elements are visually consistent with departmental branding and marketing campaign standards; with technical staff to ensure all systems are operational; and with the ticket office and marketing staff to collaborate on sales initiatives, promotional efforts and Season Ticket Membership activation
- Working with all spirit groups including Cheer, LSJUMB, and Axe Committee to continue and instill traditions to enhance the collegiate atmosphere
- Managing auxiliary events to enhance fan, donor, student and community experiences, including, but not limited to Fall Sports Open House, Spring Football Game, Stanford Athletics Board Awards, Hall of Fame Ceremony, and New Student Orientation
- Serving as one of DAPER’s liaisons to the Pac-12 Conference marketing office, and helping activate conference-wide initiatives (e.g., Extra Yards for Teachers).
- Planning and managing the budget, giveaways and inventory, and staffing and hours.
- Building and maintaining relationships with internal and external vendors and partners.
- Assisting with community relations and campus outreach efforts, time permitting.
- Other duties as assigned
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree and five years of relevant experience (or combination of education and relevant experience)
- Demonstrated passion for college athletics and an understanding of the evolving college sports landscape
- Superior project and event management skills, including extreme attention to detail
- Team player who is willing to “get hands dirty” and help out where needed
- Organized and detail-oriented with excellent communication, time management and customer service skills.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment using good judgment, innovation, and creative problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated attitude with the ability to work independently
- Ability to anticipate and/or respond effectively to changing trends and circumstances
- Attitude that embraces change and welcomes fresh perspectives
- Ability to learn from past mistakes and adjust accordingly
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Suite
- Familiarity with ScriptPro, Daktronics Show Control and related videoboard production software preferred.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends.
This position, along with all DAPER coaches and staff, is responsible for the integrity of Stanford’s intercollegiate athletics program and for the reputation of Stanford University. This position is responsible for assuring that his/her involvement with Athletics Department activities maintains the integrity of the University’s reputation and does not negatively impact the relationship between the University and its faculty, staff, students and alumni. Additionally, this position must comply with University policies and procedures, NCAA and Pac-12 rules and regulations.
Why Stanford is for you:
Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please submit a cover letter and resume along with your application for this requisition on https://stanfordcareers.stanford.edu/.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4884
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: I
- Requisition ID: 87558