Research Associate, High-Pressure Diffraction
- Great opportunity for a post-doctoral researcher to enhance their career and undertake research focusing on developing gas-loading high-pressure apparatus, in order to conduct in-situ crystallographic measurements on porous materials
- Full time research intensive appointment for 12 months initially, with a possibility of extension depending on performance and funding
- Salary range: Level A, $70,936 p.a. - $95,464 p.a. plus superannuation
School of Molecular Sciences
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to ‘innovate and inspire’ there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top University.
About the team
The School of Molecular Sciences within the Faculty of Science, is a large, research intensive School with 80 staff, 80 PhD students, and more than 600 undergraduate students. The School is committed to achieving international excellence in teaching, research and service.
About the opportunity
Under limited directions, you will be responsible to undertake research on a Future Fellowship grant “Fill it, Squeeze it, Crush it: Extreme Gas Uptake in Microporous Materials”. This project focuses on developing gas-loading high-pressure apparatus, in order to conduct in-situ crystallographic measurements on porous materials.
You will provide a high level of technical expertise to researchers, contribute to the activities of the single-crystal X-Ray Diffraction (XRD) facilities as well as provide support to users in solving and refining their own crystal structures from single-crystal diffraction data.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- PhD (or near completion) in chemistry or a related subject area
- Substantial relevant experience in XRD (primarily single-crystal diffraction)
- Ability to support research applications of XRD through to publication, including ability to provide clear instruction to students and researchers, and experience with or evidence of the capacity to operate in a multiuser facility
- Capacity to support the preparation of competitive grant applications
- Proficiency in a range of computing skills including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, internet, email and programming (e.g. Fortran)
Full details of the position responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description. In preparing your application you are asked to demonstrate clearly that you meet the selection criteria.
Applicants with a PhD or will have PhD completed before commencement of the position are encouraged to submit their interest.
Closing date: Monday, 1 February 2021
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce. We celebrate inclusion and diversity and believe gender equity is fundamental to achieving our goal of being a top 50 university by 2050.
- We have child friendly areas on campus, including childcare facilities. Flexible work arrangements, part-time hours and job sharing will all be considered.
- UWA has been awarded Platinum Employer Status for being a Top Ten Employer for LGBTI Inclusion by the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2019).
- UWA has also been awarded Athena Swan Bronze Accreditation in 2020.