Division Operations Officer
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Division of Biology and Biological Engineering (BBE) focuses on advancing investigations of and expanding knowledge about the nature of life—from a single molecule to an entire organism - and advancing engineering methods applied to biological systems. Through interdisciplinary programs of study and research, faculty and students address complex questions related to how living things evolve, develop, and function, and then use their findings to engineer innovative biological systems as well as medicines and other therapies. The Division includes more than 50 faculty research laboratories—labs headed by renowned leaders in their fields.
The Division Operations Officer (DOO) will provide broad leadership, management, direction and oversight for administrative, human resource, finance and infrastructure activities within the Division.
In conjunction with the Division Chair, the DOO will establish and implement policies and procedures to support research and teaching as well as act as a liaison with other campus units and departments.
- Manages the business and administrative functions of the Division with significant responsibility for staffing, training, career development, and organization structure. Oversees all non-faculty human resource activity including hires, terminations, and disciplinary actions
- Coordinates all major facilities and infrastructure projects, including development and execution of new construction, or the renovations of existing labs/offices. Collaborates with faculty and researchers to make effective use of division space
- Oversees all financial activity within the Division, specifically the management of general budget as well as gift and endowment funds. Works closely with the Division grants managers who are responsible for all aspects of research administration for the Division
- Coordinates communication and outreach activities that portray the Division to various constituencies, using webpages, social media, print media, and special events
- Recommends and develops new policies, procedures and processes to improve the overall effectiveness of the Division
- Oversees and ensures compliance with all Institute policies and government regulations
- Serves on Institute-wide planning and policy committees. Represents the division during the formation and evaluation of new Institute practices and policies, including new IT and business solutions
- Provide broad oversight and direction to research centers and facilities in BBE, including the off campus Kerckhoff Marine Laboratory
- Working with research group safety officers, develops and implements laboratory safety programs, including the identification of proper equipment, procedures and training
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 10 or more years of administrative and/or management experience
- Comprehensive knowledge and overall understanding of multiple business functions, including the use of modern IT methods for data-driven analysis and decision-making
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills
- Proven skills in areas of project management, human resources, and finance
- Demonstrated leadership, team building, problem solving, and change management abilities
- Proven ability to partner, communicate and interact with faculty and staff and to resolve challenging issues
- Master of Business Administration or equivalent combination of education and experience
- An interest or knowledge in science and technology is strongly desired
- Prior Caltech and/or JPL experience is strongly preferred
- Cover Letter