Postdoctoral in Computational Heat Transfer and Fluid Dynamics
Postdoctoral position in Computational Heat Transfer and Fluid Dynamics
Lunds universitet, LTH, Institutionen för energivetenskaper
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 40 000 students and more than 8 000 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
LTH forms the Faculty of Engineering at Lund University, with approximately 9 000 students. The research carried out at LTH is of a high international standard and we are continuously developing our teaching methods and adapting our courses to current needs.
Postdoctoral position in computational heat transfer and fluid dynamics.
The postdoctoral candidate will carry out research in the field of computational heat transfer and fluid dynamics primarily in micro-channels in order to understand the flow and heat transfer processes in compact heat exchanger applications and to optimize the heat transfer rate with respect to minimizing the pressure drop. The work is supported by the VINNOVA project DAD-MOPS (Development of additive manufactured cooling components with micro- and minichannels) and will be carried out in close collaboration with Siemens Energy and Setrab. The postdoctoral fellow is expected to interact with other researchers in the project and contribute to meetings, seminars and conference, and journal articles.
Teaching may also be included, but up to no more than 20% of working hours. The position includes the opportunity for three weeks of training in higher education teaching and learning.
The main work duties involve:
- Generate, modify and improve CAD models of various compact heat exchanger applications.
- Create computational grids based on the CAD models.
- Perform numerical simulations, using Reynolds Averaged Navier Stokes and Large Eddy Simulations based on these grids using OpenFOAM.
- Analyze the RANS and LES results and compare with experimental data.
- Based on the postdoctoral fellow’s simulation investigations publish the results in well-established scientific journals within the subject area.
Appointment to a postdoctoral position requires that the applicant has a PhD, or an international degree deemed equivalent to a PhD, within the subject of the position, completed no more than three years before the last date for applications.
- The subject of the doctorate degree should be in the disciplines of Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Physics (fluid dynamics, heat transfer or similar).
- Good collaboration skills, independence and personal drive
- Good oral and excellent written proficiency in English.
Assessment criteria and other qualifications
This is a career development position primarily focused on research. Particular emphasis will be placed on research skills within the subject. For appointment to a postdoctoral position, the following shall form the assessment criteria:
- A good ability to develop and conduct high-quality research.
- Teaching skills.
Additional assessment criteria:
- Ability to document and present the research results.
- Expertise in computational fluid dynamics and/or heat transfer.
- Experience with computational fluid dynamics and heat transfer including mesh generation and visualization.
- Capacity to publish in highly ranked scientific journals.
- We are looking for a person, who is passionate for research, focused, and can work independently.
The research is interdisciplinary, and a broad competence profile and experiences from relevant areas of fluid mechanics, combustion and computational fluid dynamics are of special value. Consideration will also be given to good collaborative skills, drive and independence, how the applicant’s experience and skills complement and strengthen ongoing research within the group, and how they stand to contribute to its future development.
Terms of employment
This is a full-time, fixed-term employment of two years. The period of employment is determined in accordance with the agreement “Avtal om tidsbegränsad anställning som postdoktor” (“Agreement on fixed-term employment as a postdoctoral fellow”) between Lund University, SACO-S, OFR/S and SEKO, dated 4 September 2008.
Instructions on how to apply
Applications shall be written in English. Applications should be uploaded in PDF in the Lund University recruitment system and should include the following documents:
- A cover letter in which applicants describe themselves and their particular research interests, including how they match the described research work (max 2 pages).
- Resume/CV including a list of publications.
- Copy of the doctoral degree certificate, and other certificates/grades that you wish to be considered.
- Contact information of at least two references.
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset. We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.