English Language Instructor
English Language Instructor (2 vacancies)
Department: School of Professional and Continuing Education (SPCE)
Duty station: Kabul, Afghanistan
Reports to: Kabul Programme Coordinator
Deadline: January 15th, 2021
School of Professional and Continuing Education Afghanistan (SPCE-A) is an integral part of the University of Central Asia (UCA) and complies with UCA policies and procedures. Being part of the University, SPCE’s key focus is on quality assurance. In Afghanistan, SPCE-A operates as an autonomous unit under the license of Aga Khan Foundation, Afghanistan (AKF-A). It is the torchbearer of the University’s engagement with the broader society, meeting immediate needs to improve livelihoods, employment, and educational mobility by engaging a wide-ranging spectrum of learners in quality trainings and education.
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
English Language Instructor is the direct subordinate of Kabul Programme Coordinator and Students Service Officer of the SPCE – Afghanistan and will directly report to them. Further, s/he will work in harmony and close cooperation with all other personnel of the UCA’s SPCE
Main duties and responsibilities
- Teaching English courses and programmes
- Coordinating specific English programmes
- Participating in developing proposals for corporate English courses and programmes;
- Participating in marketing and promotion of SPCE courses and programmes;
- Submitting reporting documents (individual plans, examination registers, grade reports) on time;
- Participates at testing of applicants to the English Language Programmes in order to identify their language level and arranging groups;
- Ensuring high attendance of students in classes, contacting students, and reacting on their needs;
- Ensuring safety of equipment and furniture in the classrooms and offices;
- Performing other duties (extra-curricular activities, English clubs);
- Ensure the timely preparation of the established records. Monitor the filling of documents according to the nomenclature documents approved by the head of administration.
- Coordinate communications with graduates of English programme.
- Assist in application and registration process of English Language programme candidates.
- Take all necessary steps to fire safety to ensure the safety of work in English Classes and teaching facilities. Responsible for compliance with safety regulations by students in a English Classes.
- Develop models of advertising materials for courses and programs.
- Together with Kabul LC Coordinator to monitor and control programs.
- Participates at testing of applicants to the English Language programme in order to identify their level of knowledge and arranging groups;
- Conducting midterm and final testing of programme students;
- Agreeing on teaching schedule in Kabul LC classrooms;
- Controlling and maintaining a workable condition of the classroom equipment;
- Ensuring a timely established reporting documentation (individual plan, transcripts, exam results etc.)
- Developing lesson materials and reading materials.
- Ensuring high attendance at classes by timely approaching students’ needs and liaising with
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree in teaching English;
- A minimum of 5 years of teaching experience, especially teaching adults;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Afghanistan National languages (TKT, IELTS, TOEFL certificates required);
- Communication Skills: the Instructor must be able to speak clearly to students, other teachers, parents and administration officials.
- Instruction Skills: the Instructor will have to explain unfamiliar concepts with authority and concisely so that students can understand.
- Writing Skills: writing skills are critical.
- Creativity: teachers must find ways to involve students into their lessons. Additionally, teachers must work with different learning styles to get the most out of each student.
Aga Khan Foundation, Afghanistan and University of Central Asia are equal opportunities employers. Women are encouraged to apply.
Aga Khan Foundation,Afghanistan and University of Central Asia recruitment and selection procedures reflect commitment to safeguarding of children from abuse.
How to Apply
To apply for the position, please send a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references to email@example.com by January 15th, 2021. As your application email subject, please write: “English Instructor Kabul LC”. Please make sure that your email application together with attachments does not exceed 3 MB.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.