Simulation Operations Technician
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Description Summary
The Simulation Operations Technician implements, operates, and participates in simulation activities as outlined by Simulation Education Specialists, faculty, and the operations team to guarantee a high quality, safe, and consistent simulation experience in the Helene Fuld Pavilion for Innovative Learning.
This role is responsible for the preparation, setup, and disassembly of the necessary equipment and supplies for each activity. Another responsibility of this role is to provide direct support to the HFP inventory system by ensuring that the inventory system is kept up to date with our current offerings, inventory on hand, and ensure that it can be used as a visual guide for all of the Pavilion’s Holding. This includes direct and clear communication to the administrative coordinator and operations manager regarding low stock and verifying supply counts for equipment.
The position leads the daily restocking process for all ‘on hand’ supplies housed in each of the Helene Fuld Pavilion learning spaces. This role will identify the need for any item additions to the supply carts, or additional on hand supply areas related to specific tasks or procedures. Provide daily upkeep and maintenance of equipment and learning spaces. The simulation operations specialist provides support and backup to SOS in operating simulation equipment or the simulation capture system during the activity. The simulation technician must maintain excellent customer service skills and effective communications with all clientele and co-workers.
Provide setup simulation activities across the curriculum
- Collaborate with Simulation Operations Specialists on the design and layout of simulation activities.
- Gather equipment, supplies, and technology for a requested simulation activity in a timely manner prior to an event, and report any missing, damaged, or depleted items to the appropriate Fuld Pavilion faculty and staff member(s) for re-ordering and/or repair and suggest substitutions when possible.
- Set up simulation activities according to plan provided by Simulation Education Specialists, with guidance from the operations manager and SOSs
- Prepare scenario props for simulation activities.
- Prepare all supplies and equipment for simulation activities in advance
- Execute daily assignments to ensure that simulation activities are set up prior to start of scheduled activities
- Assist in re-setting the simulation activity between active simulations to maintain quality and consistency amongst learners
- Ensure all equipment is put away properly and neatly after the “breakdown” of a simulation activity
- Provide first line feedback to SOSs and operations manager on function of equipment
- Participate in weekly meetings with HFP team for planning purposes
Provide direct support to the HFP inventory system
- Check all incoming equipment and supplies against the packing slip and report any discrepancies to the administrative coordinator and operations manager
- Ensure all incoming equipment and supplies are properly scanned/input into the inventory database to ensure accurate tracking of all materials
- Ensure all outgoing equipment and supplies are properly scanned out of the inventory database to ensure accurate tracking of all materials
- Assist administrative coordinator in supply counts and checks to assist in ordering process
- Assist with the maintenance of the visual inventory manual linked to inventory database.
- Ensure all supplies locations are properly labeled.
- Ensure current vendor information is kept up to date in inventory database.
- Ensure items are placed in and out of maintenance mode in inventory database.
- Ensure that items are stored in the proper designated locations.
- Ensure the proper usage of storage bins throughout the Fuld Pavilion.
- Assist administrative coordinator in preparation of physical assessment kits as necessary
- Communicate shortages to the full HFP team, to include administrative coordinator, operations manager, and SOS
Provide daily upkeep and maintenance of Helene Fuld Pavilion equipment and learning spaces
- Clean and empty fluid containers and reservoirs within Patient Simulators after each use.
- Clean reusable equipment and supplies after each use.
- Properly store patient simulators, reusable supplies and equipment.
- Reduce clutter by returning unused supplies and equipment to their proper storage areas.
- Store new equipment and supplies in their designated areas.
- Dispose of trash and bio hazardous materials per University Policy.
- Maintain Fuld Pavilion Appearance.
Lead the daily restocking process for the Helene Fuld Pavilion.
- Maintain a listing of items and quantities to be available on hand in Fuld Pavilion space for simulation activity use.
- At the beginning and ending of each workday, replenish and organize on hand supplies in each Fuld Pavilion space.
- Collaborate with Simulation Operations Specialists on activities that may require extra on hand stock.
- Identify spaces that should have an expanded selection of on hand items.
- Identify needs, recommend, and build for additional mobile supply carts to service individual tasks or procedures.
Provide support and backup to SOS in operating simulation capture system, maintaining equipment, and operation of high fidelity mannequins.
- Know how to operate the simulation capture system to record simulation activities
- Have a basic understanding of how to turn on and operate high fidelity mannequins and their computers
- Learn basic first-line troubleshooting and elevate issues to SOSs
- Assist SOSs in providing basic maintenance to equipment, including (but not limited to) external equipment cleaning and powdering, fluid line cleaning, and some parts replacement
- Learn basic moulage techniques and be able to execute for a simulation activity
Perform additional duties as assigned
High School Diploma/GED, 1-2 years in healthcare simulation experience; Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience required. Certified Healthcare Simulation Operations Specialist (CHSOS) desired.
Office, Library, computer room, Alternative work schedules
Occasional lifting 25-50 lb., Typically standing or walking, Intermittently sitting/standing/stooping.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
School of Nursing
$17.58 - $31.65
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.