Faculty Manager, Office of the Dean, Faculty of Veterinary Sciece
UP Professional and Support
FACULTY OF VETERINARY SCIENCE
OFFICE OF THE DEAN
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 5
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the above vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The Faculty of Veterinary Science is looking for a person with unique skills and knowledge that includes (but not limited to) knowledge of maintaining the current buildings, laboratories (including biosecurity) and training facilities, as well as planning for future facilities and the ability to develop a strategic facility master plan for the Faculty. The incumbent should also be able to manage the staff, from labourers to middle - management.
The successful candidate will actively participate in the following areas:
- The effective management of the feed store, vehicle pool, other campus services and on-campus student activities will be another responsibility of the incumbent;
- Liaise with University of Pretoria professional services directorates on service provision at Onderstepoort;
- All of these have to be managed in a cost-effective way and the incumbent will be required to prepare annual budgets and manage allocated funds;
- Responsibility to create a safe environment, as far as practicably possible, (physical, occupational and biological) for staff, students and visitors through close collaboration with the Department Security Services and the Section Occupational Health and Safety; and
- Above all, he/she has to be competent, able and knowledgeable to assist the Dean with strategic planning, leading fundraising initiatives in support of strategic initiatives in the Faculty and writing of grant applications and submissions (all in relation to his/her primary responsibilities).
- A relevant 4-year bachelor or honours degree from an accredited institution, majoring in subjects related to facilities and/or financial management and/or business administration; and
- At least eight years’ experience of which 3 years in middle management.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Financial management and report writing skills;
- Sound general managerial, leadership and staff management skills;
- Computer and information literacy, including experience in the use of a business management information system; and
- Good language, communication, writing and interpersonal skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Experience in the management of occupational health and safety;
- Knowledge of biosecurity matters;
- Experience in management at a tertiary institution; and
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft or similar software system.
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 15 January 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms MB Nyathela, firstname.lastname@example.org (HR), Tel: (012) 529 – 8541
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 4 March 2021, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference will be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right not to fill the advertised positions.