Assistant Director of Nursing, Nurse Educator
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Posted Job Title
Assistant Director of Nursing-Nurse Educator
Job Profile Title
Veterinary Head Nurse
Job Description Summary
This Assistant Director of Nursing position will serve a dual role. The primary focus of this position is in the role of a nurse educator. This nurse will create new training programs for the Ryan Nursing Staff. They will also assist the Director of Nursing with recruitment and administrative duties as assigned.
This is a 40 hour a week position with a standard schedule of 9-5. There is flexibility in the schedule to accommodate late CE programs or weekend recruitment events. The responsibilities of this position include:
- Develop nurse training programs for all levels of nursing in collaboration with nursing supervisors
- Perform one on one and group training modules with nurses
- Create training modules for onboarding new nurses in Workday and Stringsoft
- Create a nurse mentor program to become a part of our new nurse training
- Create opportunities for mid-level nurses to develop their training skills
- Create opportunities for senior nurses to develop their leadership skills
- Organize new nurse meet and greet sessions quarterly or as often as needed
- Work with the Director of Nursing to create new opportunities for Nursing Internships in the future
- Assist the Director of Nursing with recruiting new staff( recruiting events) as needed
- Assist the Director of Nursing with mentoring nurse supervisors
- Assist the Director of Nursing with ensuring adequate nursing coverage in all areas
- Assist the Director of Nursing with supervising the specialty nurses and nurse coordinators( to be divided up)
- Assist the Director of Nursing with organizing summer vet student hires and interviews as needed
- In the absence of the Director of Nursing, ensure payroll is submitted weekly for all nursing staff
- In the absence of the Director of Nursing, attend leadership meetings as necessary
- Associate's degree and a minimum of 8 years experience as a CVT, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Proven track record of providing Nurse Education
- Previous management experience preferred
- VTS certification preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Highly organized
- Excellent communication skills
- Working conditions include high noise environment with barking dogs and equipment alarms.
- Physical requirements include standing for prolonged periods of time, occasional bending and kneeling and lifting 25-50 pounds.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
School of Veterinary Medicine
$50,684.00 - $91,232.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.