Research Project Manager, Adolescent Health, School of Nursing
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Profile Title
Manager Research Project A
Job Description Summary
The Research Project Manager will lead and monitor all aspects of an adolescent health program of research at the School of Nursing. The Research Project Manager will work directly with the MPI and Co-Investigators to manage the daily operations of the research program and lead a randomized controlled trial examining an intervention to reduce adolescent driver crashes. This will include working with the MPIs and Co-Is to develop a comprehensive participant engagement plan and then seeing that this plan is executed. They will manage a study team of research assistants and student workers, overseeing their training and day-to-day scheduling. This position also manages the grant, abstract and manuscript preparation process; coordinates subject recruitment and screening; and obtains informed consent; and oversees and conducts data collection, quality control, and compliance in keeping with study protocols. He/she manages data for the research program, conducts data analyses, prepares reports and makes presentations on study results, and drafts articles for publication.
Program Planning & Management in Collaboration with the Principal Investigator:
- Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of research design and analyses; contributes to the planning and implementation of grant proposals, and manages the grant preparation process.
- Acts as liaison with internal and external constituents to ensure effective communication and coordination of activities; plans and develops meetings with the research team and external participants.
- Work with the MPI and Co-Is to develop and execute a comprehensive participant engagement plan.
- Monitors project budget in collaboration with Principal Investigator.
- Designs and implements systems and procedures to maintain effective and efficient operations.
- Coordinates with multiple institutional review boards as appropriate; maintains program documentation; prepares and submits documentation to regulatory authorities (e.g. IRB) and/or review/monitoring boards (i.e., DSMB, independent safety officer), and/or funding agencies and study sites as required.
Subject Recruitment, Interviews & Consent Process:
- Coordinates the recruitment and eligibility screening of subjects into the research studies in collaboration with research team.
- Obtains informed consent; tracks and monitors consent process, provide parent sessions.
- Conducts interviews with subjects in multiple local care settings according to established protocols, including telephone intake and follow-up as needed.
- Educates and supervises staff on the subject interview process.
Data Collection, Quality Control and Compliance:
- Coordinates and conducts primary data collection activities for multiple research projects. Provide parent sessions, track participant flow assessment, collect driving logs.
- Assures confidentiality of subjects as appropriate.
- Ensures timely data collection and entry, data cleaning, transmission of data according to established procedures, and quality control measures in keeping with study protocols.
Database Management and Analysis:
- Develops and manages project database in conjunction with research team.
- Conducts analyses under the direction of the PI and in collaboration with the research team and statistical consultant.
Reporting and Dissemination Activities:
- Prepares written quarterly and annual reports; prepares reports to funding agency including adverse events as appropriate.
- Prepares reports and makes presentations on study results; drafts/co-authors articles for publication to disseminate research findings; manages the abstract and manuscript preparation process.
- Compiles and coordinates the submission of reports for both regulatory and administrative requirements with the PI.
Management of Staff
- Supervises daily tasks for all assistants and students, schedules staff, and ensures study team members are appropriately trained and held to the highest standard.
- Coordinates daily communication, team meetings and facilitation of weekly team goals with principal investigator; manages meeting agendas, notes, and sharing of information.
- Hold one-on-one and team meetings on operations to monitor progress of projects, ensure team meets study goals within stated project timeline, address priorities, and resolve issues.
- Oversee staff training.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree with 3-5 years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
Office, library, computer room
Typically sitting at a desk or table; Occasional lifting 25 lb. or less; Typically standing or walking; Intermittently sitting/standing/stooping
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
School of Nursing
$50,684.00 - $91,232.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.