Postdoctoral Fellow in Extragalactic High-Energy Astrophysics
Department: Department of Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics – Faculty of Science
Deadline: 1 Feb 2021
Start date: by agreement
Bursar of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the position
Workplace: Department of Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: permanent/temporary position with 3 years contract, non-academic
Working Hours: 40 FTE (full-time
Expected Start Date: by agreement
Number of Open Positions: 1-2
About the Workplace
Masaryk University is the second-largest university in the Czech Republic with ten faculties, more than 5000 staff, and more than 30 000 students. As a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing, our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education.
Faculty of Science MU, a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of the Masaryk University generating around 40 % of MU research results.
The high-energy astrophysics research group at Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic, invites applications for postdoctoral fellowships in extragalactic high-energy astrophysics. The successful applicants will closely collaborate with the research group of Norbert Werner. The current research of the high-energy astrophysics group includes studies of clusters of galaxies, AGN feedback, chemical enrichment, and galaxy evolution, as well as the use of nano/micro-satellites for monitoring the high-energy sky. Candidates with experience in cosmological simulations are particularly encouraged. The successful applicants are expected to carry out an independent research program and collaborate with the growing young, international team of researchers at Masaryk University.
Skills and Qualifications
The applicant must have:
- PhD in astrophysics or physics
Informal inquiries about the position can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, phone +420 776 772 645
- The successful applicants are expected to carry out an independent research program and collaborate with the growing young, international team of researchers at Masaryk University. An interesting job in a dynamically expanding university
- Flexible working hours and occasional home office to support personal needs in family and career compatibility
- Employee benefits such as 6 weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution, contribution to lunches in canteens of MU or meal vouchers, discounted language courses, discount in the university cinema, exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city
(for more information on costs of living, you can refer to Numbeo)
- Support with your relocation to Brno by our International Staff Office
"Applicants should e-mail a curriculum vitae, brief statement of research interests, list of publications, and arrange to have three letters of reference e-mailed to Norbert Werner (email@example.com) by February 1, 2021."
The candidate shall provide following:
- Cover letter with a brief statement of research interests and experience
- Summary of publications and talks
- Names and contact details of at least 3 references.
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers. Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
If we do not contact you within 10 working days after the application deadline at the latest, it means that we have shortlisted other candidates meeting the position requirements.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or videoconference interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!