Experienced Senior Accountant/Financial Analyst
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Profile Title
Accountant/Financial Analyst Senior
Job Description Summary
Performs significant aspects of Penn s external reporting and analysis process including related internal controls and monthly closing procedures, and highly technical and complex accounting/reporting research. Significant responsibilities and duties include:
Ensures compliance with GAAP through detailed review of complex accounting rules and the application of those rules to complicated and multifaceted transactions throughout the University. Prepares professionally documented accounting and reporting research position papers (following professional practices used by EITF) recommending critical accounting decisions for concurrence by the Manger/Director. Monitors emerging accounting, reporting and control rules promulgated by authoritative bodies including the SEC, FASB, EITF and AICPA. Benchmarks other entity reporting/accounting practices. Evaluates these emerging rules and practices, communicates impact on the University, and recommends and implements appropriate actions. The Senior is assigned multiple financial statement categories (e.g. tuition, benefits) and has responsibility for any related research.
Performs and evaluates comprehensive analysis and prepares formal analysis documents used by executive management to communicate business trends and issues to the Board of Directors and by external auditors to verify compliance with reporting controls as well as the accuracy of our statements. Prepares and evaluates comprehensive monthly analysis designed to detect and correct significant accounting/reporting errors and identifies and communicates corrective actions required to prevent their reoccurrence. The Senior is assigned multiple financial statement categories (e.g. tuition, benefits) and has responsibility for any related analysis.
Ensures reporting accuracy and transparency through professional preparation and self -review of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements and related disclosures including footnotes. Reviews footnote disclosures prepared by other departments. Implements the GAAP related reporting process at assigned schools and centers. Performs and verifies the consolidation process for our $2billion health system, complex real estate operations and other subsidiaries. Prepares an analysis of other external reports such as Commonwealth Appropriations, Census Data, IPEDS, NSF, and UCA. Seniors are assigned multiple financial statement categories (e.g. tuition, benefits) as well as certain schools/centers and have responsibility for any related reporting including footnote disclosures.
- Analysis: Performs/evaluates comprehensive analysis and prepares formal analysis documents used by executive management to communicate business trends and issues to the Board of Directors and by external auditors to verify compliance with reporting controls as well as the accuracy of our statements.
- Reporting: Ensures compliance with GAAP through detailed review of complex accounting rules and the application of those rules to complicated and multifaceted transactions throughout the University.
- Control: Implements the functional aspects of the closing process/schedule and assists the Managers with related system requirements performed by Finance IT and ISC. Assists the Managers with the implementation of a comprehensive business control model in functional departments throughout the university including assignment of object code control and analysis responsibilities.
- Research: Ensures compliance with GAAP through detailed review of complex accounting rules and the application of those rules to complicated and multifaceted transactions throughout the University. Prepares professionally documented accounting and reporting research position papers recommending critical accounting decisions for concurrence by the Manger/Director. Monitors emerging accounting, reporting and control rules promulgated by authoritative bodies.
- External audit: Assists in all aspects of the external audit process including scheduling of quarterly reviews and annual audit activities, scheduling of related internal activities to meet external deadlines, coordination with other functional departments to ensure that necessary supporting information is provided timely and accurately, and coordination of Management Letter Comments and responses.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Experienced Senior Accountant / Financial Analyst Qualifications:
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree preferably in accounting, finance, business administration, or related field with 5 years of experience; or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience that demonstrates knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and practices (GAAP) and a minimum of five to seven years of relevant experience.
- Must have excellent communication skills and computer literacy; proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook). Must be skilled in understanding database structure and have the ability to manipulate data imports and exports for financial reporting and analysis. Must have advanced command of excel functions. Knowledge and experience with journal entries, financial statement preparation, and general accounting concepts are also required. Demonstrated ability to work independently and to exercise confidentiality and discretion in the operational decision-making process. Ability to effectively research, present ideas and concepts in written or presentation format and use consultative and facilitation skills to gain consensus; Ability to independently work with a high degree of accuracy under tight timelines;
- Excellent analytical, written and verbal communication skills, including experience presenting to management and/or senior leadership
- Experience with designing and executing strategy-based financial analyses
- Well organized, flexible, and able to manage multiple challenging projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Collaborative working style and ability to build strong relationships with people at all levels of the organization
- Experience working with financial reporting and financial statements
- Initiative and ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to learn new systems quickly
- Demonstrated ability to support a community of diverse perspectives and cultures in an inclusive environment.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
Division of Finance
$59,703.00 - $113,435.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.