Lecturer, Digital Media, Early Career Development Fellow
- Full-time, 3 -year fixed-term contract based at RMIT City campus but may be required to work and/or be based at another campus of the University
- Play a pivotal role in contributing to the teaching and research efforts of the Digital Media discipline area
- Utilise your expertise in digital, interactive and immersive design to deliver high-quality and authentic learning opportunities to students, in-line with the School of Design and the University strategic goals
- Report directly to the Associate Dean, Digital Design
- Remuneration for Academic Level B ($98,495 - $116,965) + 17% superannuation
RMIT is a multi-sector university of technology, design and enterprise with more than 91,000 students and 11,000 staff globally. RMIT offers postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online programs to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways.
Our purpose is to offer life-changing experiences for our students, and to help shape the world with research, innovation, teaching and industry engagement. With strong industry connections forged over 130 years, collaboration with industry remains integral to RMITs leadership in education, applied and innovative research, and to the development of highly skilled, globally focused graduates.
Our Values inspire us, wherever we are in the world, and guide how we live and work together.
Imagination. Agility. Courage. Passion. Impact. Inclusion.
What unites us is our purpose and our values; they are at the heart of who we are, what we stand for, how we make decisions and connect with each other.
Our people make everything at the University possible. We encourage new approaches to work and learning, stimulating change to drive positive impact. RMIT exists to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work. You will be a part of a productive and collaborative team, who values working relationships and outcomes through open and inclusive planning, continuous information sharing and transparent work practices.
About the College
The College of Design and Social Context encompasses RMIT Universitys renowned art, architecture, design, built environment, communication, and social science disciplines. The college has 24,500 students and over 1,000 staff located in 8 schools. The Colleges academic programs are generally market leaders and in high demand. Based on a strong foundation of practise led, industry partnered teaching and research, we aim to deliver skilled graduates with a deep sense of purpose, and high impact research and innovation.
Further information on College of Design and Social Context in this link.
School of Design
The School of Design is a new School comprising the disciplines of Industrial Design, Digital Design (including Animation & Interactive Media) and Communication Design.
The School builds on RMITs leading national and international reputation in design education by creating a specific focus on emerging areas such as UX and service design, design strategy and virtual and augmented reality.
It comprises approximately 72 academic and 10 professional staff and over 2000 EFT undergraduate and postgraduate students with expectations of growth.
About You and the Role
You are a dynamic and creative educator who is an experienced teacher and researcher in the field of digital media. You identify with a vision of design education that combines cultural and social investigation, balances creative and entrepreneurial practices, encourages and challenges technological adoption and commits to the inevitability of change with positivity and creativity.
You will responsible:
- Deliver high-quality & efficient teaching activities within undergraduate, Master and Graduate Diploma programs as well as focusing on their scholarly, research and/or professional capabilities;
- Work collaboratively with a team of committed cross-disciplinary staff to provide a high level of teaching and research quality in the School of Design;
- Conduct research/scholarly activities, including publishing research outputs as lead or co-author, preparing and submitting external research grants & funding, managing projects and supervision of higher degree by research students;
- Effectively engage and promote the program through developing networks, maintaining memberships, links and partnerships with academic members, industry and professional communities;
- Involvement in varied administrative duties based on the level of appointment related to the goals of courses and programs of the organisational unit.
You will have:
- Experience in preparing high-efficient delivery of lectures, tutorials, and demonstrations through forward-thinking, sustainable and engaging course material for students undertaking undergraduate and postgraduate coursework programs;
- Proven teaching/ research and industry experience as well as expertise in the Digital Media areas;
- Evidence of high-quality academic and published research track record in high impact journals & articles and contributing to the development of new research initiatives, external research funding submissions and strong linkage to industry and government;
- Commitment to perform academic administrative and to deliver full academic responsibilities relating to the coordination of an award program, year or course;
- Experience in supervising higher degree by research candidates is desirable;
- Ability to communicate effectively (both verbal and written) with higher degree by research candidates, staff and industry, together with a strong commitment to teamwork and multidisciplinary collaboration.
Mandatory: PhD or equivalent experience in the field related to Digital Media coupled with research record. Candidates who have submitted their PhD will be considered.
In order to be eligible for this ECDF role you will have performed casual teaching work for an Australian University during the past three years and have not been employed on a continuing basis at an Australian University.
Desirable: Candidates with hands-on experience or expertise in interactive digital media (e.g., web, apps, digital networks), digital video (e.g. visual effects, compositing and/or motion graphics) or digital environments (e.g. projection mapping, virtual reality, augmented reality, installations) are encouraged to apply.
Preferred: Completion of the Essentials of Learning and Teaching (login required) or possess (or eligible to apply for) appropriate HEA fellowship (if the appointed candidate does not meet this requirement at time of appointment, they will be supported to complete this as a requirement to fulfil their probation).
Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children check.
Bring your whole self to work
We are better for our diversity. When we listen to those who are different to us, or challenge us, we grow stronger together. When we feel like we belong, we can achieve so much more.We respect each other, embrace our differences and build a sense of belonging in our team and beyond.
We are proud that our dedication to diversity has been recognized by a broad spectrum of external organizations. Visit our Linkedin Life pages to learn more and see some of our most recent wins.
Please submit your resume and cover letter outlining your experience and achievements by clicking on the 'Apply now link. Please note that a separate response to Key Selection Criteria as stated on the Position Description is required. For any enquiries regarding this role, please contact, Professor Deb Polson, Associate Dean, Digital Design (email@example.com)
RMIT is a Disability Confident Recruitment Team and we are happy to adjust the recruitment process for your accessibility requirements. Please contact us at TalentSupport@rmit.edu.au telling us your preferred type of communication and we will be in touch as soon as possible to discuss your requirements.
Applications close Sunday 17th January 2021.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.
Please note that whilst we still accept applications from any persons interested in our roles, due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently prioritising applications from those with current working rights in Australia and who are not affected by travel restrictions. Please see the latest updates to Australias immigration and border arrangements during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/