Director, Audio Visual Design and Engineering
This is an exciting time to join Learning Technologies and Spaces (LTS), as we launch Stanford Classrooms Reimagined, the 10-year strategic plan for learning spaces campus-wide. Reporting to and working closely with the Senior Director, Learning Spaces, the Director of AV Design and Engineering will play a key role in the implementation of new standards, common solutions and platforms, and partner with schools and campus units to build innovative and user-centered classrooms and learning spaces.
The Director leads the technical and operational implementation of the strategic plan, manages the classroom refresh plan and budget, ensures the operational continuity of Stanford University Classrooms, and provides hands-on management of the classroom and technical operations teams. The position serves as technical lead and AV project manager and working with Capital Projects, Facilities management, contractors and subcontractors.
You are passionate about education, AV and IT. You are people- and solutions-focused and have experience in managing AV projects. You juggle multiple priorities and projects, bring a positive outlook, and lead dynamic, diverse teams.
Inclusion and diversity are integral to Stanford’s commitment to excellence. We are interested in candidates who have demonstrated experience engaging with diversity through activities such as fostering an inclusive environment, working with students and staff from diverse backgrounds, or incorporating diverse perspectives in their work.
Along with your application, please include a resume and a cover letter describing your interest in this position and how your qualifications are a match.
Learning Technologies & Spaces (LTS) facilitates exceptional teaching and learning. We design, implement, provision, operate, and support an ecosystem of platforms, tools, services, and technology-rich classrooms and learning spaces. Our aim is to provide great experiences for faculty and students in the use of instructional technology and classrooms to create engaging and accessible learning experiences for all our students. This is Our Most Important Work. LTS is part of Student Affairs, which supports a variety of student experiences inside our learning spaces and outside the classroom in our residences, community centers, student organizations, health center, and career education center. Student Affairs aspires to “educate students to make meaningful contributions as citizens of a complex world.”
Reporting to the Senior Director, Learning Spaces, the Director, AV Design and Engineering leads the technical and operational implementation of Stanford Classrooms Reimagined, the 10-year strategic plan for learning spaces campus-wide. This position manages the classroom refresh plan and budget, ensures the operational continuity of Stanford University Classrooms and informal learning spaces, and provides hands-on management of the classroom and technical operations teams. The position also serves as technical lead and AV project manager, working with Land, Buildings and Real Estate, contractors and subcontractors on capital and renovation projects. Working closely with campus partners, the Director ensures high availability of the classroom technology systems, manages upgrade and maintenance schedules, and ensures high quality user support for classroom technology systems.
In this role, you will:
- Work closely with the Senior Director, Learning Spaces, implement and operationalize Stanford Classrooms Reimagined, the campus-wide 10-year strategic plan for learning spaces. Lead unit strategic management and participate in long-range planning for the Learning Spaces team. Recommend AV technology standards for campus learning spaces.
- Ensure high availability of classrooms and AV systems, manages upgrade and maintenance schedules, and ensures high quality user support.
- Serve as technical lead engineer and team leader for AV projects.
- Collaborate with schools and campus partners to support consistent and reliable user experience, implementing common platforms and solutions, campus-wide standards.
- Manage the refresh plan and budget for classrooms and informal learning spaces, including furniture, fixtures and equipment (FFE)
- Collaborate with Capital Projects, contractors and subcontractors, serving as AV project manager on AV design, installation, commissioning.
- Manage and mentor a team of AV/IT specialists, technical operations, and building managers (7 FTE + temporary staff)
- Provide direction and managerial oversight for room monitoring and proactive classroom technology support.
- Develop and review policies and procedures; interpret and manage policies and procedures for assigned area.
- Lead special projects as assigned
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or other appropriate technical area, or combination of technical education, training, and experience
- Five or more years of extensive relevant professional and managerial experience in an environment with a variety of spaces (classrooms, meeting spaces, laboratories, auditoriums, informal learning spaces, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience with AV project and vendor management
- Experience designing and integrating AV systems and equipment
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively.
- Strong customer service orientation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with ability to communicate complex technical issues to non-technical users
- Demonstrated experience developing and managing budgets and service contracts
In addition, preferred requirements include:
- Subject matter expertise in one or more areas a plus:
- Media control and monitoring systems, (e.g. Crestron), codecs, switchers, and audio DSPs;
- Video conferencing systems (e.g. Zoom);
- Automated video streaming and capture (Panopto preferred);
- Multi-channel wired and wireless sound systems, assisted listening systems, acoustical standards;
- Specialized equipment for classroom use
- Broad knowledge of wire terminations, troubleshooting and pretesting
- Signal flow Network protocols and technologies
- Learning space design preferred
- Ability to read and comprehend AV system drawings, specifications, technical manuals as well as (wall elevations, RCP’s, room layouts, system schematics, etc.) CAD
- Experience designing and/or supporting learning environments in higher education preferred.
- Experience building high performing and diverse teams preferred
Certifications and Licenses: CTS preferred; AQAV CQD a plus.
May require extended hours and weekends, on-call rotation.
WHY STANFORD IS FOR YOU
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4363
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: L
- Requisition ID: 88111