Learning Hub Services Manager
The Learning Environment Integration Team is seeking a Services Manager for the Lathrop Learning Hub. The Learning Hub is the place on campus for students to get their academic technology needs met— especially those related to computer resources, digital media production, and emerging technologies. The Hub is the home of the Tech Desk and create: space makerspace.
The Learning Hub Services Manager reports to the Associate Director, Learning Hub and manages a team of student staff to provide excellent customer service. The Services Manager ensures the smooth operation of the Hub, including overseeing delivery and continuous improvement of equipment loan and poster printing services as well as assistance with digital media production and makerspace equipment.
As the Services Manager, you will supervise a team of 25-30 part-time student employees and are responsible for their recruitment, hiring, training, mentoring, scheduling, and evaluation. You will also identify and develop student team leaders who will provide leadership and guidance to their peers in the workplace. You will provide training, consultation, and direct technical support to students, staff, and instructors using technology, recommend equipment purchases and implementation policies, and make minor and/or preventive equipment repairs as necessary. Other responsibilities include managing the equipment inventory and checkout system, as well as end-point administration and imaging of loaner mobile devices.
You are passionate about customer service, technology, and helping students. You learn quickly, work well in a team environment, and are able to juggle multiple priorities.
If this sounds like the job for you, click the Apply for Job link to create an application on the Stanford Careers Page linked from this job posting. Along with your application, please include a resume and a cover letter describing your interest in this position and how you think your qualifications are a match.
Inclusion and diversity are integral to Stanford’s commitment to excellence. We are interested in candidates who have demonstrated experience engaging with diversity through activities such as fostering an inclusive environment, working with students and staff from diverse backgrounds, or incorporating diverse perspectives in their work.
The Learning Environment Integration Team is a part of Learning Spaces & Technologies unit within the Office of the Vice Provost for Student Affairs. Our members provide resources, facilities, and services in the areas of academic and emerging technologies, language learning and assessment, and learning space design in support of learning success for the Stanford University community technologies, language learning and assessment, and learning space design in support of learning success for the Stanford University community.
Under general supervision, provide technical support to end-users for computer hardware, software, and network related problems. You will work with the Associate Director, Lathrop Learning Hub to provide high-quality customer service experiences in primarily face-to-face interactions and to maintain informal learning environments and classrooms.
- Diagnose and resolve end-user problems; respond to escalated issues from clients and other support teams; perform triage, provide remote problem resolution when possible, refer problems to associated groups.
- Research, recommend and implement hardware and software purchases and configurations to meet client needs and ensure compatibility with university systems and architecture.
- Research, recommend, and implement approved standards used throughout the unit and contribute to the development of the client support strategy. Investigate and test new tools, systems, techniques, and software products.
- Provide technical guidance and training; may guide other staff. Work on projects requiring expertise and creativity in analysis and deployment of technology.
- Ensure high quality customer service.
- Recruit, hire, develop, and inspire a team of student workers to provide outstanding customer service while also maintaining sensitivity to the fact that students’ academic work is their highest priority.
- Implement, administer, and evaluate day-to-day activities of the Lathrop Learning Hub.
- Independently plan and effectively solve problems in a fluid, demanding environment.
- Analyze, develop, revise, and implement procedures for the Lathrop Learning Hub.
- Organize and/or participate in outreach activities, with the Associate Director, Learning Hub that may include communications, events, training, and/or conferences.
- May collect and analyze data, create reports, review and explain trends; formulate and evaluate alternative solutions and/or recommendations to achieve the goals of the Lathrop Learning Hub.
- Other duties may also be assigned.
- Fluency with or ability to learn new technologies and software applications, particularly those related to technology resource management, digital media production, audiovisual installations, and common makerspace equipment.
- Experience in a leadership or supervisory role.
- Experience with creating and delivering training.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
- Two-year college degree and two or more years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to provide excellent client service.
- Ability to apply diagnostic techniques for troubleshooting problems.
- Ability to apply information technology best practices, including security (this includes information security or physical security, such as asset management) to problem resolution and troubleshooting.
Certifications and Licenses: None.
Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
Frequently sitting, use a telephone, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, bending, lifting, standing, and carrying equipment.
Occasionally lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh 21-40 pounds.
Rarely kneel/crawl, climb (ladders, scaffolds, or other), writing by hand, sort/file paperwork or parts, grasp forcefully.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
This position will be regularly scheduled to work on-site. Post-COVID-19, this position will be regularly scheduled to work afternoons/evenings and Sundays.
May require extended hours and weekends, on-call rotation.
HOW TO APPLY:
We invite you to apply for this position, please submit your résumé and a one-page cover letter along with your online application.
WHY STANFORD IS FOR YOU
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4732
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: H
- Requisition ID: 88115