Vacancy ID: 008362
Closing Date: 17-Jan-2021
Maynooth University is committed to a strategy in which the primary University goals of excellent research and scholarship and outstanding education are interlinked and equally valued. We are seeking an Assistant Librarian Special Collections and Archives. The successful candidate will lead a team of staff in the provision of high quality services across a range of areas, including the curation, preservation and provision of access to a suite of world-class collections consisting of rare books, archives, manuscripts and cultural objects.
- Lead and manage a large and diverse staff in Special Collections & Archives, setting individual and group objectives across areas such as cataloguing, conservation, archival work, teaching and engagement monitoring performance and encouraging the highest levels of performance from all
- Play a key role, with the Head of Collections & Content in progressing the library collections strategy across the breadth of special collections (rare books, manuscripts, archives and artefacts
- Play a leading role in promoting engagement with Special Collections (physical and virtual) via outreach, exhibitions, and events
- Oversee curatorial work such as resource description (including retrospective cataloguing projects), conservation and preservation programmes. Lead on the provision and coordination of a specialised reference service support for users of Library Special Collections in both the John Paul II and the Russell Libraries
- Work, in conjunction with relevant library and academic staff to realise the teaching and research potential of special collections in support of the research aims of both Maynooth University and St. Patricks College Maynooth
- Promote Special Collections at institutional level and beyond and represent the Library on national and international committees.
- Actively participate in library strategic planning, particularly in the areas of Special Collections and preservation, library emergency planning and business continuity measures
- Participate in a variety of projects at departmental and library level
- Any other duties as assigned by the Librarian or his nominee.
Assistant Librarian Grade I: €51,889 – €60,749 per annum (6 points)
Appointment will be made in accordance with the Department of Finance pay guidelines.
*New entrants to the public sector will be appointed on the first point of the above scale.