Health Professions Education Specialist
Health Professions Education Specialist
University of Global Health Equity is on a mission to radically change the way health care is delivered around the world. UGHE is a new university based in Rwanda that is building the next generation of global health professionals—doctors, nurses, researchers, and public health and policy experts—into leaders and change makers who strive to deliver more equitable, quality health services for all.
Title: Health Professions Education Specialist
Department: Educational Development and Quality Centre
Faculty position: Depending on level of expertise and experience
Reports to: Director, EDQC
Location: Butaro & Kigali, Rwanda
The Health Professions Education Specialist will be part of UGHE’s Educational Development and Quality Center (EDQC) to support the development of curricula and student assessment approaches across all programs at UGHE. They will work with faculty, Department Heads and Program Directors to help develop innovative curricula, review and revise curricula, ensure that curricula are aligned with key institutional competencies, and support faculty with planning and implementing assessments that measure program and course outcomes. They will serve as an expert and point person for support with all matters related to curriculum development, assessment, teaching and learning, and pedagogy.
The Health Professions Education Specialist will facilitate and coordinate faculty development programs related to curriculum design, student assessment, educational and pedagogical research, educational strategy and design. S/he will oversee the development and implementation of new degree/certificate programs, with a specific focus on Health Professionals Education.
Curriculum and Assessment Consultation and Advising
- Advise UGHE and departments on appropriate processes to support and enhance curriculum development and student assessment across UGHE.
- Consult with and advise departments on curriculum review requirements related to quality assurance, including identifying appropriate benchmarks and measures.
- Consult with and advise faculty and departments on student assessment best practices, techniques and new innovations in the field, as well as overseeing exam development and implementation.
- Consult with course directors and department heads on course design.
- Conduct curriculum mapping exercises with the goal of mapping and scaffolding core competencies, both at the program and institutional level.
- Conduct student assessment audits and mapping exercises with the goal of creating student assessments that accurately and effectively measure key learning outcomes and competencies.
- Support UGHE in implementing student assessment best practices including innovative assessment techniques, exam banking, psychometric assessments of exams
- Work with peers across departments and the EDQC to ensure a cohesive approach to curriculum development and student assessment.
- Design and lead Faculty development programs related to curriculum design, student assessment, educational and pedagogical research, educational strategy and design
- Develop and lead the implementation of new degree and certificate programs, with a specific focus on developing a Health Professions Education program
- Be a member of the UGHE academic standards and Programs committee (Curriculum committee).
- Work with other stakeholders to harmonise curriculum, course syllabi, instructional design and assessment.
Collaboration and Support
- Work with Program Directors, Department Heads and faculty to determine assessment needs and approaches to accurately measure learning outcomes.
- Inventory assessment information and instruments used at UGHE, and conduct audits on assessment practices.
- Lead external accreditation processes related to curriculum and / or assessment reviews.
- Develop resources to facilitate curriculum design and renewal.
- Act as a resource for Department Heads and Program Directors and faculty to identify innovative teaching strategies.
- Provide support (professional development, resources, workshops, consultations, etc.) alongside the EDQC for faculty, staff, and students related to student assessment and curriculum development.
- Ensure that faculty and teaching staff are aware of, and have the opportunity to take advantage of, resource support, consultations or funding through the EDQC.
- Foster local, regional and international partners with regards to educational excellence and quality
- Ensure that interprofessional health education is integrated into new UGHE curricula
Communications and Reporting
- Develop an annual report related to student assessment and curriculum development at UGHE.
- Develop and maintain resources (web and other) in support of student assessment and curriculum development.
All other related duties as required and or assigned by the EDQC Director or a designate.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Masters or PhD/EdD (preferred) in medical education or Health Sciences Education (preferred) or related field
- Relevant experience in curriculum and program design, student assessment, pedagogy, higher education, and/or educational technology, preferably in the health sciences or medical field.
- Knowledge and experience with program-level curriculum mapping and assessment of student learning outcomes.
- Srong understanding of innovative pedagogy in higher education, with a preferred focus on health sciences and global health education, including implementation and integration into curriculum.
- Experience working with adult learners and faculty.
- Experience with educational leadership and management.
- Female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Effective consultation and communication skills, including the ability to navigate differing opinions and generate consensus amongst various stakeholders.
- Effective facilitation, public speaking and presentation skills.
- High levels of professionalism, skilled at managing relationships and ability to work as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Fluency in English required; French or Kinyarwanda language skills optional.
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Great working environment that allows one to reach their greatest potential
- Prospective career growth opportunities
Interested candidates should submit 1) CV and 2) cover letter detailing interest and aptitude for this position.
UGHE is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.