First Veterinary Nurse Onderstepoort Veterinary Academic
FACULTY OF VETERINARY SCIENCE
ONDERSTEPOORT VETERINARY ACADEMIC HOSPITAL
FIRST VETERINARY NURSE: OVAH
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 9
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the above vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Performing excellent patient care and handling;
- Clinic management (record keeping, hygiene, stock control, care of equipment, safety measures etc.);
- Supervising personnel;
- Administering and monitoring of sedation;
- Performing emergency procedures;
- Communicating with patient owners;
- Demonstrating techniques to and instructing students and student nurses, including own team;
- Performing relief duties in other sections in the OVAH;
- Performing shift duties.
- Diploma in Veterinary Nursing (DipCurAnim or Dip Vet Nursing);
- Registration with the South African Veterinary Council;
- Two years’ experience in veterinary nursing and clinic management.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Knowledge of equine nursing procedures, biosecurity measures and procedures and handling of horses.
- Meticulous about detail, professional and a responsible person;
- Appropriate language and communication skills;
- Organizing skills and a strong service orientation;
- Physical mobility;
- Ability to work under pressure and without supervision;
- Computer literacy;
- Ability to work weekends and outside normal working hours when required for continuous service delivery in the hospital.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Previous and/or current experience of one year or more in a high pressure emergency clinic environment where patients are triaged and multiple emergency procedures take place simultaneously, will be an advantage.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 15 January 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms Granny Maseko, email@example.com for application-related enquiries and contact Sr Janet Smit, (012) 529 8123 for enquiries relating to post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 March 2021, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right not to make an appointment to the posts as advertised.