Web Developer with Stanford Web Services
Job Code: 4873
This is a 16 Month Fixed Term position.
Stanford Web Services is seeking a full-time experienced Web Developer to be part of a team building a modern tech stack for the next generation of Stanford’s web platform and websites. We are looking for significant Drupal and WordPress experience.
In this position you will:
- Develop, improve, and document custom modules, components, and themes on projects ranging in complexity from single websites to our open source content management systems, including Drupal and WordPress.
- Peer review code for functionality, accessibility, security, performance, and maintainability.
- Ensure products and websites follow Stanford’s online accessibility policy and seek opportunities to improve usability of services by people of all abilities.
- Advise on technical strategy for projects in partnership with project management, UX, design, and support teams.
- Contribute to open source projects.
- Join Stanford’s IT community in support of an environment where individuals from diverse backgrounds can collaborate and excel across different functions and disciplines.
- Design, implement, and manage web-based applications, databases, and interfaces from initial design and architecture through development, test, and deployment.
- Perform web platform analytics; identify and work in collaboration with departments and units to resolve strategic and university-wide problems.
- Mentor, oversee, and check the work of other staff on technical matters. Conduct security reviews of applications written by other developers.
- Research, evaluate, and enforce web standards for usability and accessibility. Develop and enforce Stanford programming and application design standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
We’re looking for candidates with deep expertise in:
- Developing websites using Drupal and WordPress and related languages, libraries, and standards-compliant code.
- Understanding Drupal and WordPress architecture and experience in building and maintaining custom modules and plug-ins.
- Experience in a collaborative workflow using development/stage/production environments, code reviews, and Git/GitHub or similar.
- Experience in test automation and continuous delivery.
- Familiarity with browser devices and platform differences and idiosyncrasies, and ability to develop workarounds to accommodate specialized user/client needs and device platforms.
Other abilities include:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to write, compile, test, debug, and deploy software on UNIX-like platforms and web servers.
- Knowledge of web analytics tools and related analyses.
- Ability to design and manage relational databases.
- Ability to design and implement web services.
- Ability to interact positively with and build consensus among a diverse group of colleagues, clients, and senior leadership.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Frequently sitting.
- Occasionally stand/walk, use a telephone.
- Rarely writing by hand, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Strong visual acuity.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- May work extended hours, evenings and weekends.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Stanford University’s commitment to safely and effectively meet the public health challenge presented by COVID-19 extends to ensuring University employees may work from home, or another off-site location, where determined appropriate, whenever necessary through the end of March 2021. The department will give reasonable notice when employees are expected to return to work at the Redwood City campus.
Who we are
Stanford Web Services (SWS) is an award-winning agency within Stanford University providing web strategy, user experience, visual design, and web development services to the campus community. SWS oversees more than 2,500 websites and is part of University Information Technology (UIT), a 600-person strong organization supporting 100+ services for Stanford. SWS takes pride in our mission to care for Stanford’s ever-evolving web presence, because supporting the research and education mission of a renowned university can make a positive impact in the world. We create beautiful, secure, accessible, and effective websites; everyone in SWS works directly with campus clients and partners and problem-solves using friendly and clear communication.
We’re located in Redwood City. Our new Stanford Redwood City campus is open and brings together 2,700 staff in a collaborative environment that reflects Stanford’s culture and mission. The campus offers amenities such as onsite cafes and a dining pavilion, a high-end fitness facility with an outdoor pool, and a childcare center. As part of our telecommute options, we have Stanford locations in San Francisco, Newark and San Jose and a supportive work-anywhere program for our Bay Area staff.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit your résumé and a cover letter along with your online application.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4873
- Employee Status: Fixed-Term
- Grade: J
- Requisition ID: 87992