Research Analyst, Computational Marketing
Stanford Graduate School of Business
Residing in Silicon Valley, the heart of innovation, Stanford GSB has built a global reputation based on its immersive and innovative management programs. We provide students a transformative leadership experience, push the boundaries of knowledge with faculty research, and offer a portfolio of entrepreneurial and non-degree programs that deliver global impact like no other. We strive to change lives, change organizations, and change the world.
Manage and analyze large amounts of data while creating cutting edge, industry-leading research in computational marketing, social science and business.
As a Research Analyst, you will draw on a broad set of technological, creative, and problem-solving skills in order to facilitate and accelerate academic research at the Stanford University Graduate School of Business (GSB.)
Your role will require you to work closely with the Faculty Director (FD) for Computational Marketing in:
- obtaining, hosting, managing and extracting intelligence from tera-byte scale large data from various firms and businesses,
- transforming existing datasets to make them model ready, and
- solving business questions with data.
You will work with the FD to conceive, propose, and deliver innovative solutions to these research challenges. Examples include,
- Help suggest, support and shape research and ideas on new data-driven advertising, e-commerce, and marketing
- Define relevant questions about user behavior, user demand, advertising effectiveness, targeting, pricing, promotions, and support the development of quantitative methods to answer those questions
- Work on ways to combine large-scale experimentation, statistical-econometric, machine learning and social-science methods to answer business questions at scale
- Use causal inference methods to design and suggest experiments and new ways to establish causality, assess attribution and answer strategic questions using data
- Help the FD crystallize research into strategic decisions and communicate them to high level audiences
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Lead and own digital marketing initiatives involving computing and data (e.g. models, frameworks, experiments).
- Supervise, coach and mentor a high-performing team of analysts.
- Identify, leverage and partner with external firms.
- Prioritize obtaining, hosting, managing and extracting intelligence from tera-byte scale large data from various firms and businesses, and maintain its accuracy and completeness.
- Determine additional data collection and reporting requirements. Design and customize reports based upon data in the database. Oversee and monitor regulatory compliance for utilization of the data.
- Use system reports and analyses to identify potentially problematic data, make corrections, and eliminate root cause for data problems or justify solutions to be implemented by others.
- Create complex charts and databases, perform statistical analyses, and develop tables and models for publication and presentation.
- Be flexible to completing any other additional assigned duties.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience. Experience in a quantitative discipline such as economics, finance, statistics or engineering.
- Relevant subject matter knowledge.
- Substantial experience with MS Office and analytical programs.
- Excellent writing and analytical skills.
- Ability to prioritize workload.
In addition, our preferred requirements include:
- Fluency in data manipulation and analysis with big-data tools (R/Matlab/Stata/SQL/Hive/Python)
- Training and experience in using advanced quantitative methods (statistics, econometrics, ML, RL, causal inference, experimentation)
- Familiarity with causal inference methods such as split-testing, instrumental variables, difference-in-difference methods, fixed effects regression, panel data models, regression discontinuity, matching estimators and knowledge of statistical methods, a plus.
- Experience with large datasets and interest in consumer behavior, e-commerce and related business questions a plus
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Stanford’s dedicated 16,000 staff come from diverse educational and career backgrounds. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere. We provide competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy, including additional time off during our winter closure. Our generous perks align with what matters to you:
- Freedom to grow. Take advantage of career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a Ted Talk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and caregiving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall, or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Visit campus gardens, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ridesharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computers, cell phones, recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
- We pride ourselves in being a culture that encourages and empowers you.
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application.
Job Code: 4753
Employee Status: Fixed-Term
Requisition ID: 85499