Grants Manager Assistant
The Division of Geological and Planetary Sciences is seeking a full-time Grants Manager Assistant who will provide support to the Grants Manager in the Geology and Geochemistry Department. The successful candidate will assist the manager with administrative, financial, and research administration duties for faculty, postdocs, students, and research staff.
- Assist with submission of proposals: review sponsor’s guidelines, draft budget and budget justification, complete non-scientific forms; upload documents to online submission systems; make and distribute copies; create files; keep track of declined and awarded proposals.
- Assist with financial monitoring of research awards: process account set-up request; create and maintain files; prepare monthly Funds Management and Personnel reports; review and clear encumbrances; monitor expenditures and balances with emphasis on allowability and prevention of overspending; and 90-day award closeout.
- Assist with administrative oversight of research awards: track timely submission of technical reports; monitor subcontract invoicing and balances, and fabrication and cost sharing accounts.
- Purchase supplies and equipment: conduct vendor searches and obtain quotes; process sub-award and consulting requisitions; monitor receipt of deliveries; assist with invoice approval process; handle petty cash reimbursement requests; process reimbursements and payment requests; reconcile monthly P-Card reports.
- Handle domestic and international travel arrangements with emphasis on class restrictions and need for prior approvals; process cash advances, deposit reimbursements; reconcile monthly expense and travel reports.
- Handle both routine and complex mailing, shipping, and receiving duties which may require assistance from the office of export control.
- Assist with equipment tagging and disposal procedures, and the Institute’s physical inventory audit.
- Assist with submission of technical and facilities use forms, handle invoicing and deposits (checks and wire transfers) for external users; submit web internal charges for internal users; request account information from faculty for other internal charges.
- Assist with intake process for guests, volunteers, external affiliates, visiting student researchers, and undergrad student programs. Create human resources files.
- Support faculty with administrative and clerical duties: organize workshops and trainings; copy and collect course materials.
- Apply comprehensive knowledge of Institute policies, division practices, and sponsor’s terms and conditions to all assignments, as applicable.
- Take initiative to provide timely updates to Grants Manager on outstanding work; able to proactively search for new information or established guidelines relevant to tasks and projects that may provide direction or solutions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree in business or accounting or equivalent experience with at least 3 years of relevant administrative experience, and intermediate business math and accounting skills.
- Detailed and processed oriented. Excellent organizational skills; able to prioritize work effectively and meet deadlines.
- Good judgement and discretion; ability to maintain confidentially.
- Quick comprehension; able to work in a fast paced environment with shifting priorities.
- Cooperative and self-motivated; handle duties in a proactive and timely manner.
- Flexible; able to work well under pressure and maintain a positive attitude.
- Strong interpersonal written and communication skills.
- Technologically savvy with computers and office equipment; advanced knowledge in Excel and Word.
- Professional demeanor.
- Experience with Abode Acrobat and Dropbox.
- Knowledgeable in accounting as it pertains to budgets and cost detail spreadsheets.
- Experience with Caltech systems and software applications.
- Cover Letter